Yellow Tint

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey Guys,

There seems to be a yellow tint to everything on my screen. I tried messing with the display preferences in MacOS and on the monitor. I ended up doing a clean install and still there is a yellow tint on everything, even the startup screen! I also hooked it up on a different monitor.

The weird thing is that at first all of the colors were displaying correcting and then all of a suddent it turned to the yellow tint! Help!

I have a G5 Dual 1.8 with 1.5Gigs of Ram connecting to CRTs. The yellow tint first appear when I disconnected my Airport Extreme Card from the G5 and at the same time dumping all of the cache in the Library. I thought if I did a clean install it would fix it. What gives?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    At my work sometimes someone will try to calibrate the monitor and they will choose a daylight setting which turns everything yellowish (like sunlight). Maybe you need to re-calibrate your monitor or check to make sure your video card is still seated properly. Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    A clean install should clear out any yellow tinting in the display preferences, so I'd say the problem likely isn't related to the OS (unless restarting in OS 9 or Linux fixes it). Since you tried a different monitor and still had the same problem, I'd say the issue is either in the video card or the monitor cable.

Or maybe someone stuck a yellow bulb in your lamp.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    vintegvinteg Posts: 6member
    Yeah I know...I thought the clean install would have done it too, so then I knew it was a hardware problem. However I noticed that the other monitor I tried was, at first white, then switched to yellow. People on other forum said its either the monitor going out or the video card.

That's when I was able to solve it. It was the DVI-VGA cable from Apple. When I was wiggling it, that's when it'll switch to yellow or white. I'm so lucky that it wasn't the videocard. $20 dollar for a new cable is better that $200 for a videocard.

Thank you for your help!