Problem installing The Sims

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, here's the deal. I have two PowerBooks around the house. I installed The Sims (which runs on Classic) on the 15 inch PB without problems. On the 17 inch PB the game would give me an error message saying that I needed 415.5 extra MBs so I could install it, but my hard drive had over 40 GB free. So I couldn't install it. I tried doing it on different folders, deleting everything and tried again, and again and again. No luck.

So finally I decided to copy the installed game from the 15 inch PowerBook and transfered with an iPod to the 17 inch PB. Worked fine that way.

But if I ever have to reinstall it it could get messy. Anyone know why this sort of thing happens? I just couldn't understand why I couldn't install it with over 40 GB free.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Check Aspyr's Web site to see if there are any updates to the Sims version you're using. I've found that most of the early Sims games have at least one, and sometimes two or three updates available. You can also find Carbon updates that will allow you to run natively under OS X.

I've found The Sims and its various expansion packs to have pretty kludgy installers. For example, if you don't install the expansion packs in a particular order, they won't work and you'll need to reinstall all of them. So the fact that it doesn't install doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with your system.