using 12 inch pbook in clamsheel mode

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my new 12 inch pbook wont wake up with a new 20 inch display plugged in. keyboard and mouse work fine, and i've done this before--is it the new display?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

my new 12 inch pbook wont wake up with a new 20 inch display plugged in. keyboard and mouse work fine, and i've done this before--is it the new display?

There might've been a firmware update that now keeps you from doing it. Using it in clamshell mode means more and more heat gets trapped inside your PB and it could have a premature death because of it.

Do you have it set for mirroring or spanning? When it was working, were you using the same monitor interface as you're using now?

Alex.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander Wilson

There might've been a firmware update that now keeps you from doing it. Using it in clamshell mode means more and more heat gets trapped inside your PB and it could have a premature death because of it.

Do you have it set for mirroring or spanning? When it was working, were you using the same monitor interface as you're using now?

Alex.

i figured it out--you have to go into system prefs with both displays up and move the menu bar to the bigger screen. then it works.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    It is still not working for me, although I have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and I can't figure this out for the life of me...I close the lid, and it just goes to sleep, I have tried re-plugging in the screen and powering on and off, but to no avail. Any ideas from you all?? Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Okay, this is what I have found to work, though it is kind of ghetto. If you get everything running, then you shut your powerbook lid, it does go to sleep, then you have to open and close your powerbook lid immediately, then wait for about 30 seconds and your bluetooth mouse and keyboard will work, as well as your external monitor...what a relief this has kind of been a pain, there should just be a button to put this thing in clamshell mode, but, I guess if this is what I have to do then this is what I have to do....
  • Reply 5 of 7
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    ijerry: Assuming the spanning hack's unreliable clamshell mode is not the cause of your problems, it sounds to me like you need to update the Bluetooth firmware in your mouse, keyboard, and iBook. Software Update downloads the firmware updaters for you, but you need to run them yourself. Software Update places them in the Applications/Utilities folder and they are named Bluetooth Firmware Updater (for the 'Book), Wireless Keyboard Updater and Wireless Mouse Updater, respectively. Double-click them and follow the instructions to update BT firmware on the three devices.

When I first got my 12-inch PowerBook, I had to plug in a USB device to wake it up when it was in clamshell mode. The BT keyboard and mouse wouldn't wake it and wouldn't pair automatically on wakeup. Now that I have upgraded the BT firmware on the PowerBook, the mouse and the keyboard, I can wake the PB (in clamshell mode) from sleep via the BT keyboard and mouse. Very nifty!

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    in system prefs, go to the display prefs. you should see two monitors with your pbook and display hooked up. at the top of the smaller screen, the pbook, there is a gray bar. drag it over to the bigger monitor. make sure the menu bar is on your bigger display, then shut the pbook.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    You are correct in assuming that the hack is not my problem, since I am on the 12" PB. I have also installed the bluetooth firmware, and have dragged the menu to the larger monitor. I have repaired permissions, and done all that I can do...I do need to do some cleaning of the HD though, because I have found that I only have 4 gigs left out of my original 40. So, I may just go ahead and do a backup and re-install this thing and see how that goes...Though that will be some time for now...Thanks for trying to help! This bluetooth thing seems to be hit and miss for many people...