Does the iBook get dirty easily?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does the white keyboard on the iBook pick up a lot of dirt? Does the trackpad? Do you think that a 5 year old iBook would stand the test of time? Will it still look clean and modern? Or will it look dirty and old?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    the keyboard and the mouse tracking pad do get dirty quite easily especially if u are operating near a window or somewhere dusty.

however, it is very easy to clean. jus use a cloth to wipe those dust and stains, an d yr ibook will look as good as new.

i dunno about 5 years though.... guess no one can cos even the earliest ibook is only about 2 years old. but my personal opinion is that it will. i hope....
  • Reply 2 of 16
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    For me, it's the palm rests that get dirty the fastest. If I'm running a game or other instensive task that heats up the machine, it tends to cause a little sweating, which goes straight onto the wrist rest. Ick.

That being said, the pad and keys themselves haven't been a problem for me. I do have quite a bit of dust under the keys though. Luckily, you can remove the keyboard easily and some compressed air should take care of that.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Mine really hasn't gotten dirty in the past year.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ariari Posts: 126member
    Mine hasn't gotten very dirty either. Occasionaly a mark or two on the outside casing, which is very easily cleaned.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I have had mine for 3 months now and I haven't had to do any cleaning to it other than the LCD. My iBook stays way cleaner than my old 1ghz XP Compaq Laptop did!!!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    [quote]Originally posted by Metacom:

<strong>Does the white keyboard on the iBook pick up a lot of dirt? Does the trackpad? Do you think that a 5 year old iBook would stand the test of time? Will it still look clean and modern? Or will it look dirty and old?</strong><hr></blockquote>

mine stays clean with bursts of Kensington Duster II here and there.

My question is.. is there any way to polish out scratches on the outer shell???

Thanks

Fellowship
  • Reply 7 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook:

<strong>

mine stays clean with bursts of Kensington Duster II here and there.

My question is.. is there any way to polish out scratches on the outer shell???

Thanks

Fellowship</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think that is possible. I would think if you go to polish out a scratch it will just put more scratches in it.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I got a 500 DVD last may and mine hasn't really gotten dirty- the case is very scuffed though- from all the hard use its been put through.

I leave for class- chuck it in my backpack or mailbag, take it out for notes in class, chuck it back in, go home, whip it out, plug it in. Once you get past the scuffs on the outside shell don't worry about it- you can't see them from far away when other people are looking at it :-)

Its a rugged little pod.

[ 08-15-2002: Message edited by: tacojohn ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 16
    The most direct answer to this question, and the most rarely given, is that it depends how often and how well you wash your hands. Take a look around the doorknobs and along the stairways in your house. Lots of fingerprints? You may not wash your hands well after reading the paper, writing with a pencil, riding the bus, going to the mall, or other things that people usually don't realize make hands absolutely filthy. Of course, maybe the other people in your house don't and you do.

Most doctors suggest washing your hands between ten and twenty times a day. It's not obsessive to do it more often as long as you have a good reason each time and you stay well clear of a hundred.

Anyway, it is white. You put your hands on it. That means it will get dirty if your hands are dirty. There's nothing Apple can do about that but make it black, and silver is the "in" colour this year (50% of all cars made will be silver). The oil your hands generate is clear and doesn't react with this sort of plastic, so if your hands are clean, the iBook will stay brilliantly new. You'll also get less under the keys, around your mouse button, and catch fewer diseases.

At home, it is definitely worth using an Apple Pro keyboard and sticking the iBook up where your monitor would be, or docking it. 75% of all junk cleaned out of keyboards is food, and you know you do that eating at the computer at home. Might as well pour those crumbs into something black that you won't be pulling out at a meeting.

Oh, and before I get slammed, I do understand that the bus and other public places where one's hands are dirtied are precisely where one uses a laptop for its portability. I guess you could use pre-moistened towlettes, but telling another adult to use towlettes feels like telling a stranger to use his or her napkin. Icky.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    [quote]Originally posted by Metacom:

<strong>Does the white keyboard on the iBook pick up a lot of dirt? Does the trackpad?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't know. I only got my iBook two weeks ago. So far... well, it's still very clean.

[quote]<strong>Do you think that a 5 year old iBook would stand the test of time? Will it still look clean and modern? Or will it look dirty and old?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Like I said, I don't know about dirty, but I guarantee, in 5 years, the current iBook will not look new or modern. It will look like a 5 year old computer.Pick any 5 year old Mac model. Look at it. Does it look new or modern to you?

I love the current, "ice" look of the iBook, but I know full-well that this look is a passing trend. In 5 years, you'll probably look at the "ice" design and think, "Oh right, that was early 2000's.".
  • Reply 11 of 16
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    [quote]Originally posted by spotbug:

<strong>

Like I said, I don't know about dirty, but I guarantee, in 5 years, the current iBook will not look new or modern. It will look like a 5 year old computer.Pick any 5 year old Mac model. Look at it. Does it look new or modern to you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, I dunno. I still want a Mac laptop the size and form-factor of an old HP Omnibook. This thing wasn't even a sub-notebook... closer to a sub-notebook shaped palmtop that ran Windows 3.0. I desperately wanted it at the time.

And if you recognize that product, you probably feel old like me. I got depressed when I saw the Compaq commercials featuring their first 'luggable'... and recognized it from ads I had seen when it came out. :eek:

[Addendum]

Well, I finally tracked down info on it. The HP Omnibook 300. I could only find one poor picture, but you might get an idea of its size.

... but this is what I'm really talking about. The unit had four "PC Card" slots. One held a Flash card with Win3.1 on it. Then you could either add a Type III PC Card hard drive (a whopping 40 MB), or a 10 MB Flash PC Card as your drive.

Get this: with the Flash card, you could get 9 hours on a battery! :eek:

Technical Specifications Hardware Omnibook 300

Size Closed

*16.3x28.2x2x3.6cm (6.4x11.1x1.4in)

Weight

*1.31kg (2.888 lb) with flash disk

*1.36kg (2.998 lb) with hard disk

Traveling weight (includes adapter and power cable)

* 1.70kg (3.75 lb) with flash disk

* 1.74kg (3.84 lb) with hard disk

Oohhh, I'd love a Mac that runs 9 hours on a battery while weghing less than 3 lbs! :cool: Of course, that's not very realistic nowadays... but I can dream.

I just wish I had a picture of this thing folded. You'd think it was a small blotter for your real laptop to sit on, so you didn't burn yourself.

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: Kesh ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 16
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kesh:

<strong>

Oh, I dunno. I still want a Mac laptop the size and form-factor of an old HP Omnibook. This thing wasn't even a sub-notebook... closer to a sub-notebook shaped palmtop that ran Windows 3.0. I desperately wanted it at the time.

And if you recognize that product, you probably feel old like me. I got depressed when I saw the Compaq commercials featuring their first 'luggable'... and recognized it from ads I had seen when it came out. :eek: </strong><hr></blockquote>

hahahaha ahhh go easy on yourself..

Remeber the apple II hehehehe

those floppy drives that had that chatter sound upon boot...

Those were the days hehehehe

Fellowship
  • Reply 13 of 16
    my iBook (indigo 366MHz / daily use) stays surprisingly clean. every other month i wipe it (incl. screen) with a slightly moist cloth - that's all.

when the first iBooks where introduced as a students computer i thought this thing will look f***ing dirty after a few weeks in school - but it works.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I've found that the most important habit to develop in order to keep your iBook clean is keep the foam they ship it with on the keyboard. Its a pretty simple sheet of foam paper, but it will keep your keyboard from leaving marks on your screen when you close the book up. If you lose the foam, its easy to get a new one - most mail-boxes Etc. will have it . This is sucha simple thing, but it has kept my screen so pristine and beautiful.

Okay, so I'm a little Obsessive Compulsive...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    [quote]In reply to my post, Kesh said:

<strong>Oh, I dunno. I still want a Mac laptop the size and form-factor of an old HP Omnibook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wasn't talking about whether the 5 year old iBook would still be desirable (have nice features even 5 years from now). I was talking about whether it would look modern and new. It won't.

[quote]<strong>Well, I finally tracked down info on it. The HP Omnibook 300. I could only find one poor picture, but you might get an idea of its size.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, now, look at that picture. You may like all the features, but does that look like a modern laptop to you? The screen alone is a dead give-away which dates it as not being current.

edit: fixed the quote thingies

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: spotbug ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 16
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    The iBook doesn't look or get an dirtier than any PC laptop i've owned. Just the occasional dust-off is all mine really needs.