Erratic mouse movement

rokrok
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
okay, anyone else ever had these symptoms, or heard of someone who has?

simply put, my mouse at home has lately been acting possessed... like, by the devil. i'll try moving the pointer around, and it'll sway and stagger around. then, for some altogether bizarre reason, the cursor will just SLAM over to the left hand side of the screen, and either down to the bottom left or right corner (the latter is especially frustrating, since that's my screensaver hot corner, so that kicks in). the mouse does not exhibit this behavior unless i start moving it. otherwise, it stays still.

i mean, seriously, i have never seen anything like this before. it has happened with two different mice now, too. the apple supplied one-button, and a logitech two button cordless. both are optical. not sure if this is a system version issue or what, but it's driving me mad. ever try to manipulate bezier curves in illustrator and have the cursor NOT target what you want it to? AUGH!

anyway, i hope it's not a hardware problem in the computer itself. i ran techtool deluxe that came with our applecare protection plan (and i hadn't tried techtool deluxe since the os 9 days... it is VERY nice now... like techtool pro with basic hardware diagnostics, too.), and the usb controller supposedly checked out fine.

any ideas? thanks in advance...

oh, i also reset the PRAM, just in case, but still happening. i guessi could go after the jugular (the PMU button), but i hate doing that.