Internet Sharing Problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all,

Up until yesterday I was sharing my 56K Internet connection between two Macs.

The Macs are connected together via a crossover Ethernet cable.

The iMac that shared its connection to the Internet was replaced with a new eMac, and for some reason I can't access anything on-line on the other Mac.

Internet sharing is enabled, and everything looks OK, but it isn't.

Personal file sharing, FTP, Printer Sharing, all work fine, and in the Network pane of System Preferences on the other Mac, (the one not directly connected to the Internet), it says something like:

Your IP address is 192.168.2.4. You are connected to the Internet via Built-in Ethernet.

On the eMac sharing the Internet connection, the Built-in Ehternet setting says something like that it has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet ? I'm not sure about this one...

What's the deal? Safari either just endlessly tries to load a page, or says that it can't connect to the server www.(something).com; and Mail says it's Working Offline.

Can anyone please help...

Thanks in advance. m.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Macs self-assign IP addresses when they're unable to connect to the Internet. The eMac is the likely culprit: the sharing between the Macs may be OK, but at this point there's nothing to share.

Check the Internet settings (IP addresses, etc.) on the eMac and compare them, if you can, to the iMac that previously shared the connection. It is likely that something wasn't configured correctly when the eMac was set up.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    karrickkarrick Posts: 17member
    Check to make sure you don't have the Firewall enabled in the Network Preference Pane. The Apple-included firewall software in Mac OS X is not as configurable as some other firewall programs. The included software has an on/off switch, and a list of ports to leave open when the firewall is activated.

Some other firewall packages allow you to configure which direction the firewall is primarily blocking packets. Essentially, the main computer is acting as a make-shift router, and firewalls on routers are differently configured than firewalls on non-routing computers.

I had the same problem when I networked several machines from my Powerbook using Internet Sharing. As soon as I turned off the firewall on the main computer, the other systems could access the Internet just fine.

WARNING: You cannot turn off your firewall without unpleasant things tormenting your computer. Do this at your own risk. Since you are using a Macintosh, it is highly unlikely that any malware will infact hurt your machine, but I couldn't go without warning you...

I hope this helps,

Karrick
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks guys!

I worked out the problem. I was sharing the Internet from Built-in Ethernet instead of the Internal Modem.

Duh... m.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by karrick

I had the same problem when I networked several machines from my Powerbook using Internet Sharing. As soon as I turned off the firewall on the main computer, the other systems could access the Internet just fine...

Thank you in advance, er... i mean you just answered in advance, how do you know?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Merovingian

Thanks guys!

I worked out the problem. I was sharing the Internet from Built-in Ethernet instead of the Internal Modem.

Duh... m.

LOLLOLLOLLOL