modify iTunes columns by the batch?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
If i wanted to take out the "album" column of multiple playlists, is there any way I can do this by the batch?

it seems like I would have to manually do it one by one, per playlist

?????

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    If you select a group of songs, including doing "Select All" for all of the songs in a playlist, and then do "Get Info" on them, you'll get a dialog that lets you edit multiple songs at once. Delete whatever album title is showing after you do this, or if (as is likely) no title is showing because there's no common title, simply click the checkbox next to the album title field and leave the title blank.

You would have to do this playlist by playlist, but not song by song. If you're trying to wipe out the titles on every single song you have, just do your Select All in your Library.

Keep in mind that album titles are connected to songs files, not to playlists. I'm a little worried that you might be thinking you can delete the album title from a song in one playlist, but still see the title of that album appear for that same song in another playlist -- if that's what you're thinking, you're likely to get yourself into a mess if you start deleting album titles.

Once you delete or change an album title (or pretty much any other bit of song info) for a song in one playlist, it will be deleted or changed everywhere that song appears.

Any particular reason that you want to delete your album titles?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    he's not trying to delete album titles. he just wants to remove the album header from multiple playlists.

you have to do this playlist by playlist.

however, all new playlists will have the same header layout as your main library view.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

he's not trying to delete album titles. he just wants to remove the album header from multiple playlists.

you have to do this playlist by playlist.

however, all new playlists will have the same header layout as your main library view.

that's what i was hoping NOT to hear

..... what to do , what to do ....

[thanks!]
  • Reply 4 of 6
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

that's what i was hoping NOT to hear

..... what to do , what to do ....

[thanks!]

it's not that tough to do... just right click on the column header and deselect the album heading.

somewhat time consuming depending on the amount of playlists... but simple to do.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    .... it IS simple to do, but it IS cumbersome when you have 100+ playlists

i guess i should start soon :P
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

.... it IS simple to do, but it IS cumbersome when you have 100+ playlists

i guess i should start soon :P

i believe there is an applescript for what you want. i havent tried it, but head over to Doug's applescripts for itunes and click through the different categories on the left nav bar. i believe one of them remakes your playlists, and new playlists will have the same headers as your general library tab, so you only have to customize one thing. good luck.