iPod won't mount

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I don't know whether anyone else has had this problem, i haven't seen any posts about it, so i figured i'd ask.

I have an iPod (model number M8946B/A) and a 15" Powerbook. I used to use my iPod on my windows system, but since getting the Powerbook i've started using it on that.

However, when i plug it in, the iPod won't mount on the desktop properly, meaning i can't sync with iTunes properly and the iPod Updater won't work peoperly.

Anybody know why this might be/know a fix for it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    do you have the window's only version of the ipod? how old is it?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

do you have the window's only version of the ipod? how old is it?

Windows only? I thought all the iPods were Mac *and* Windows compatible now...

I bought it on the 20th August 2003 anyway, so it's just under a year old.

Just looked and in the iPod menu, settings -> about, it says 'Format: Windows'.

Is there no way to reformat it so i can use it on the Mac? I was never under the impression that any of the iPods are completely Windows only?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Connect it to your Mac. Open the iPod Updater utility (in Applications then Utilities).

You can either update it or restore it. Choose restore. That will erase completely the iPod's contents and will install the iPod's software and hopefully make it mac compatible.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Check before you do this.

I thought it was one way only - you could change a mac version to pc, but not the other way around.

Could be completely wrong, but I would definitely check before doing anything too drastic.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    I have the same problem with my 3G ipod every once in a while. For me, it's not the ipod, it's some weird OS X system glitch. I tried everything, reformatting the ipod, updating, etc... nothing.

Then I tried the obvious, stupidly obvious, thing and restarted my computer and everything mounted fine. Go figure. If you've tried this already then I'm sorry.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I used to have a 2G iPod. It was formatted for windows. Then I got rid of my Dell and got a Mac. It reformatted the iPod fine and worked well, so it is possible to change a winPod to a macPod. At least with 2G models.