BMW-iPod Hack

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I figured out a hack so that I could create a iPod playlist while on the road in my BMW.

If you create a Smart Playlist based on star ratings and name it BMW1, your iPod will add to this playlist any song that I give a star rating in the value range set up for the smart playlist. I don't have to sync it with iTunes to do it. All you have to do is set the star rating on your iPod. I am assuming that this will allow me to change play lists on the fly simply by assigning the star values to the songs I want to hear.

I have not tested this out yet as my BMW is only due to be delivered this week, but I don't see why it shouldn't work.

If anyone here has a BMW set up already, I would be glad to hear if this really works.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    any smart playlists based on ratings update on the fly with the ipod when you change a rating in/out of the given parameter.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    fatmac84fatmac84 Posts: 67member
    Right, so if you name one a name the BMW head unit recognizes you can create an On-The-Go playlist for your Bimmer. Thus, this big gripe people have had with the iPod-BMW adapter goes away. Now I only need someone to test it out.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    a similar solution would be to make a smart playlist named BMW1 or whatever that had criteria based on whether or not songs are in the "On-The-Go" playlist...

so instead of messing with your ratings all you would have to do is add songs to your on-the-go playlist and they should show up in the BMW list...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

a similar solution would be to make a smart playlist named BMW1 or whatever that had criteria based on whether or not songs are in the "On-The-Go" playlist...

so instead of messing with your ratings all you would have to do is add songs to your on-the-go playlist and they should show up in the BMW list...

Tried that, but it doesn't work. The_On-The-Go playlist becomes OTG-1, OTG-2, etc. once you sync to iTunes. Then you can't add to the old one once the iPod is out of the cradle only the new OTG list.