Used apple computers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I thought I'd tap the wealth of knowledge here.

What are the best places (web or bricks & morter) for used or refurbished apple computers.

By best I mean, good prices, reliability, prompt order filling...

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xterra48

I thought I'd tap the wealth of knowledge here.

What are the best places (web or bricks & morter) for used or refurbished apple computers.

By best I mean, good prices, reliability, prompt order filling...

thanks

smalldog.com is pretty good. I've bought friom them before and no trouble to speak of.

Apple sometimes has good deals in their "Special Deals" section.

I'm sure there are others.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    The one that has the consistently cheapest prices is macofalltrades.com. I bought a G3/350 from them a year ago and it is working great. The others are generally a rip off compared to macofalltrades.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    If you have any friends, or friends of friends in education you may find deals that way. Recently I was able to purchase a Power Macintosh 5400/180 for a very good price because a district near us was getting rid of them.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MAC MALL has some old "new" macs, new in box G5 that arent in the current apple line up - single 1.6 for like 1500$...you may find something there.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I got a G3/266 160 MB RAM, 4 GB HD, ZIP for $56 on eBay. I used it to replace the horribly slow 6116 for my father.

The beige (really platinum) G3 desktops have collapsed in price on eBay. The prices are insane. You can get a Mac than can run OSX ... slowly for $50 to $100

If you run 9.2.2 on these machines, however, they are excellent. The apps I use - illustrator, pagemaker, photoshop all are very responsive. I never used internet on these machines, but I'd imagine they would render pages fast enough so you wouldnt notice a difference.

If anyone on these boards is eager to introduce someone to a mac and cant afford to spring $800 for an eMac these early G3 macs are so sweet from price-performance standpoint. If you want to introduce someone to the world of macs, consider one. You can setup a good, complete system for under $150.