Napoleon Dynamite

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I bet less than 5% percent of you have heard of it, let alone seen it, but let me tell you (after seeing it for the third time yesterday): It's a really different kind of comedy, but hilarious all the same. And it's set in Idaho, if that counts for anything.

Really, go out and see it. Everyone I know that has seen it has loved it and seen it multiple times. In my opinion, it's the best movie I've seen this year, with the most convincingly unglamorous characters.

Watch the trailer

Has anyone else seen it but me?

BTW, there's an additional five minutes of footage after the credits, so wait!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I bet less than 5% percent of you have heard of it, let alone seen it, but let me tell you (after seeing it for the third time yesterday): It's a really different kind of comedy, but hilarious all the same. And it's set in Idaho, if that counts for anything.

Really, go out and see it. Everyone I know that has seen it has loved it and seen it multiple times. In my opinion, it's the best movie I've seen this year, with the most convincingly unglamorous characters.

Watch the trailer

Has anyone else seen it but me?

BTW, there's an additional five minutes of footage after the credits, so wait!

Been wanting to... its not playing close to me. You'd think the multiplexes could sacrifice one theater showing catwoman.

Glad to hear its good though... maybe its worth a bit of a drive.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Didn't realize this had been released yet, but I was definitely planning on seeing it thanks to the tralier. Will probably go in the next week or so...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Yes, I saw it. I really liked it. It doesn't go where you think it's going to go, and isn't mean-spirited about any of the characters.

I'll be interested to see the footage added for the wide release.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I saw it a couple days ago. My brother has seen it like 3 times all screeners at various independent theaters, each time he's gotten some goodies, including a "Vote For Pedro" Shirt. It's weird, it's such a small movie, yet, there is a pretty aggressive ad campaign, and it's playing at more and more theaters, and it's like an insta-cult classic, AND everyone that sees it, usually sees it more than once, which is pretty unique for any movie(especially in $8.50 movie land)

It's a funny movie, a little bit weird, but very quotable, so makes for good after-movie laughs. The music is really good too.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

It's a funny movie, a little bit weird, but very quotable, so makes for good after-movie laughs.

Yeah, I noticed that. It's really fun to quote.

"I see you're drinking 1%. Is that because you think you're fat?"

• Reply 6 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    What a weird little movie. had a indie feel about it, like Run Lola Run or Bend it Like Beckham. And like those movies, great music. All those little indie films seem to have real kickass soundtracks. So much better than the latest Hollywood garbage. It's incredible how many billions they spend on retarded drivel like Catwoman and SpiderMan each year. All that money for effects that will look dumb in a few years. Not very enduring. Could feed a small country in Africa for year probably with the amount they spend on a single dumb movie like Spiderman. </rant>

What I want to know, is when does this movie take place! Mostly it looks like the 80s, sometimes the 70s, but has 90s music. Then again if you go to Maine it looks like it's permanently stuck in the 80s so, being Idaho, I could understand that phenomenon.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

What I want to know, is when does this movie take place! Mostly it looks like the 80s, sometimes the 70s, but has 90s music. Then again if you go to Maine it looks like it's permanently stuck in the 80s so, being Idaho, I could understand that phenomenon.

Well, if we assume that Uncle Rico is in his early thirties, and his football glory days "back in '82", then it brings us to late '90s.

But Napoleon's choice of attire was very ugly, so that kinda hints to the '80s...
  • Reply 8 of 18
    it takes place in 2004, remember, it shows his ID card, that has the date on it.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Quote:

It's weird, it's such a small movie, yet, there is a pretty aggressive ad campaign,

It's an Mtv movie. Thats why. I thought it was genius.

_thedustin
  • Reply 10 of 18
    yeah. so. uh. its not that good.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

it takes place in 2004, remember, it shows his ID card, that has the date on it.

So Rico would be...forties?

(Yeah, I kinda thought that it was in current time, but everything looked kinda nineties)
  • Reply 12 of 18
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

So Rico would be...forties?

(Yeah, I kinda thought that it was in current time, but everything looked kinda nineties)

everything looked eighties...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    It's nowhere Idaho, everythings old there

-Chris
  • Reply 14 of 18
    My brother got this in the mail today.

• Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Someone asked the director in which time period this film is set. He replied along the lines that it is the present day, but in a kind of time-warped way (cf. ND's 70s/80s clothes and hair, talk about hacking computers, the ID card mentioned by Wrong Robot, etc.). I believe I found this information at Ain't It Cool News (which has had an ad for this film on its site for some weeks now).
  • Reply 16 of 18
    thedustinthedustin Posts: 176member
    Quote:

My brother got this in the mail today.

PLEASE find out where I can get that.

_thedustin
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by thedustin

PLEASE find out where I can get that.

_thedustin

My brother got it because he has seen the movie about 4 times, the first time he saw it was a pre-screening, they gave him this card, that he filled out with name, address...etc., He then got another card that he could take to other screeners and get stamped(or whatever) and once he saw it enough times(I think 4 was it) they sent him the prize package.

He also has a "Vote for Pedro" shirt, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. 8)

I don't know where you can get one besides this, BUT eBay is a good bet.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Cool, thanks. Surprisingly there is not that much on ebay. Just a few shirts and posters.

_thedustin