Acquiring Mac OS 10.4

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
When acquiring new OSs. like 10.4, if you have the previous OS, do you have to pay full price for it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Assuming you mean acquiring by legal means and not pirating, then yes we all pay full price for upgrades unless you have purchaced a new system within X days of the release of the new OS. In these cases Apple typically offers a $29 upgrade to the owners of new machines.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mordakmordak Posts: 168member
    Damn full price eh. Oh well. The next feline will be worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Also, an upgrade CD is not bootable or a full installer.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    If you qualify for the educational discount it's only $69. Taking night courses has some perks.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Also, an upgrade CD is not bootable or a full installer.

When I got Panther for my G5 (all G5 owners got it for $29), it was a full install. It had every disk (including Xcode), and I was able to clean install off of it. (As well as boot)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

When I got Panther for my G5 (all G5 owners got it for $29), it was a full install. It had every disk (including Xcode), and I was able to clean install off of it. (As well as boot)

Well, mine wasn't. When I tried to install OSX over an OS9 machine, it didn't work. I first had to use my Jaguar full CD, and then upgrade it with the Panther CD I bought as an upgrade for $29. Booting: no go either.

Maybe there are different upgrade cd's going around ?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Mine was not a full install either. I do a clean install everytime I upgrade, its just something I do. I had to go back to the orginal disk to get classic.

reg
  • Reply 8 of 10
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Weird. The educational copy of Panther I bought was a full installer. It didn't have a hardware test CD or anything, but I could certainly boot off it while doing the clean install.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    My educational copy of Panther (straight from Apple) was a full retail box.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    It is possilbe to hack the upgrade cd to full install. You must use Disk Copy to copy the exact image to you disk. Go inside and find a fill that says installation check, version check and something else check, can't think of it off the top of my head. After those files are removed, you burn it back onto a disk, and bam, it's a full install of the OS>