profanity against the rules?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, this is kinda odd. walking my dogs this morning, and went to a local park. well, apparently sometime yesterday, they finally posted RULES for this park. i pretty much see the point behind all of them (especially the dogs ON LEASH one... you have no idea how many times my leashed dogs have been rushed and attacked by off leash "playful pups" who don't knwo their own strength). no loud music. no unattended children under 9... okay, okay.

but then "no profanity." huh? this just kinda struck me as odd to declare as a rule for public space. i know WHY they are saying it... you know, to protect the children so they only have to hear profanity from their parents, the r-rated movies they and their friends go to, school, um, anywhere. you know, keep profanity in its place, i guess.

but can the city actually decalre this? i mean, i guess it's not a "law," so much as it is posted "rules," so i have no idea what the penalty is for breaking these rules. anyway, it just struck me as really odd. mind you, i personally need to clean up my f*ckin potty mouth as it is, so maybe it's a good thing?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    There are often laws against public use of profanity in local municipalities actually. They're usually quite old and the enforcement of them ebbs and flows through the years cyclically.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pantherpanther Posts: 64member
    That's because the profanity might hurt the unattended under 9 years old kids ...? Unless you beeep away every single f-word?

What next? Forbidding smoking (cigarettes) outdoors?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Panther

What next? Forbidding smoking (cigarettes) outdoors?

I fucking hope so.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    "Profanity" is subjective, and not limited to speach. FOR EXAMPLE - If a guy is in the park with an exposed tatoo that says, for example, "F*** YOU" he could be asked to leave the park, it realy isn't used, around here, but it is a cover all, if some bad people "bullies" if you will, start makeing trouble but break no law, they can be asked to leave for profanity.

I doubt that anyone would use this rule "just" for someone uttering a profanity, but I think the Patriot Act covers that...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    oops
  • Reply 6 of 7
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    I wonder if the word Motorola is considered profanity? if not it should be!#@#@#*!@#Motorola! After years of Killing the mac with their slow crap cpu's im surprised Apple signed a phone deal with those loosers. The word Motorola should be banned from all Apple sites.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I fucking hope so.

Come over to California. That was sooo yesterday.\

I just got back from Texas and forgot there was such think as a smoking and non-smoking section in restaurants. Kinda threw me for a loop. I appreciate California's restaurant/Bar smoking ban, but outdoor places with open air are fine. (my opinion) As long as they clean up after themselves. In fact, recently, California prohibited smoking on beaches because of the trash.

Oh well. I kinda have a headache today so I apologize if my post in incoherent. It makes perfect sense to me but that's not saying much.