Hitachi: 6 GB slim drive coming

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Looks like the iPod mini will be getting a higher capacity drive in the next quarter - just in time for Christmas season? Could this mean $199 4GB and $249 6 GB?.

Quote:

Q: Which product will become the largest contributor to the slim-type HDD market

A: In the next one or two years, slim-type drives will be embedded into products needing high capacity storage. Currently the drives are specifically designed for CF Type II slots, but we are in the process of developing a built-in slim-type HDD, in order to lower production costs. We plan to unveil a 6GB slim-type drive, up 50% from the current largest capacity of 4GB, in the fourth quarter this year.

Complete interview ishere.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I doubt it. People who buy the mini are less worried about capacity than physical size and style. It doesn't really make sense to offer them two models, when most would probably opt for the $199 4GB version. These things are still flying off the shelves at $249, so I don't imagine Apple would care about lowering the price of admission to iPod-dom.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I doubt it. People who buy the mini are less worried about capacity than physical size and style. It doesn't really make sense to offer them two models, when most would probably opt for the $199 4GB version. These things are still flying off the shelves at $249, so I don't imagine Apple would care about lowering the price of admission to iPod-dom.

yea, if anything they might just upgrade to the new drive or keep the old drive and enjoy larger margins. dont see them offering two though
  • Reply 3 of 7
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

It would be nice to see a price drop to $199 though. But as you say, not likely. Perhaps a holiday bundle is in order. Like get $50 off an iPod with the purchase of a Mac desktop/laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Well whatever. 4 gigs for $249 and 20 for just $50 more is ridiculous.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    New 6GB iPod mini. I'm hoping for new colors. Same price I guess.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Actually the big difference between the mini and regular iPod that I see is a lot of accessories don't work with the mini. Particularly the card reader. Capacity and size are important but the fact the iPod has so many little add ons are why I don't think I could get a mini.