Moving tips/scams?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm going to be carpetbagging to the Raleigh-Durham area at the end of this month for a new job. With the signing bonus and no one down there to aid my move, I'm going to hire professional movers to load, delibver and unload most of my stuff. I'm going to take some clothes and some items of real value with me and drive down on my own.

The quotes I've been getting vary fairly wildly, from $800 to $2000, most settling in at $1400 for about 3000 lbs. of stuff.

Has anyone used pro movers or have either services to avoid or ones they would recommend?

I plan to pack everything myself except to let the movers wrap the big furniture. Also, I assume I'll be tipping the guys who are moving the stuff. Are there any hidden costs that you were hit by when you moved? Anything I should be looking out for or ask about ahead of time?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Sorry I am of no help in this matter, but I wish you a good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I'm moving from Orange County to Studio City at the end of August. Not a big move, only about 45 miles or so. But I have absolutely no trust in professional movers after seeing all those Nightline horror stories of people's stuff being held hostage.

I decided to rent my own truck. I've hired three guys that work in the warehouse of the company I work for to load/unload. This way I'm in control of it.

The ultra low estimates are the ones you want to avoid. I would also recommend a national moving company of some sort. Read read read the fine print. These guys have a habit of ballparking the gross tonage and then SURPRISE! you're over the estimate by 1500 lbs.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

But I have absolutely no trust in professional movers after seeing all those Nightline horror stories of people's stuff being held hostage.

Me too, but I need the man-power and I don't trust myself driving a truck and towing a car for 500 miles. I've been given incentive to hire, so I think I have to deal with this necessary evil, otherwise, I would do the u-haul thing.

Quote:

The ultra low estimates are the ones you want to avoid. I would also recommend a national moving company of some sort. Read read read the fine print. These guys have a habit of ballparking the gross tonage and then SURPRISE! you're over the estimate by 1500 lbs.

Those are ones I'm sure to avoid. One estimate I got via e-mail had a $2000 price then added some sort of "tariff" discount of $1200. Too convoluted for me. The national ones are higher, but I think I'm narrowing down on a few. I just got another one from a national company for $2400! The range is crazy.

I'm most worried about their estimated tonnage. I don't have a lot, and they did at least vie me their rates per pound, and have stated that the estimate includes travel and tolls, gas, labor, two people to do the lifting, most include some blankets/pads for furniture, loading and unloading time, and some insurance ($0.60 per pound in all cases).

I think I can take care of packing pretty well, not leaving much if anything for them to insist on re-wrapping. That means more materials ahead of time, but I don't want these guys jerking my chain.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Yeah, you have a long haul. That changes things considerably.

I remember watching a report on TV that said to be careful about companies that give quotes or estimates without a site visit first. Until one of their reps walks through your home and see first hand what you've got then how can they give you a fair tonnage estimate?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    North American Van Lines moved my mother, my brother and I from Massachusetts to Iowa with no trouble, no damage and no delay. They weren't cheap, but they did exactly what we paid them to do.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I've found not moving.com but moving.org as a good resource for consumer info on moving. It's biased towards pro movers so it's not a lone resource, but it does have a handbook for moving, and it does highly recommend getting 3 companies to do a walk-through first. With all my books, I have to imagine that my tonnage could easily go way up if I'm off with my guesstimate. Best to have someone experienced take a shot.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    My wife and I hired a mover she knew from her work. It was a North American line. Problem was the guy that dispatches the drivers was out with the flu the week we were to move and no one else knew about it. So when they were 90 minutes late we called. It wasn't that great but an aberration I think.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I don't trust anyone to pack my stuff for me. When I moved 2000 miles 4 years ago, I used UPack. Basically, you pack and load, they drive, dump the trailer in your lot, you unpack and then they pick it up. They even have online trailer tracking. They never see or touch your stuff. I highly recommend it for the peace of mind and the labor cost savings.

http://www.upack.com/

If you can't load the stuff on your own, you can still hire local movers/labor to load it for you. This means you can pick and choose to save money or choose movers you trust. They're a commercial freight company so you only pay based upon "feet" of trailer you use.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

http://www.upack.com/

If you can't load the stuff on your own, you can still hire local movers/labor to load it for you. This means you can pick and choose to save money or choose movers you trust. They're a commercial freight company so you only pay based upon "feet" of trailer you use.

This is a good possibility. The trouble will be finding local labor (really only need one other person) to help me carry in a few pieces of bigger furniture. Thanks for the link.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

North American Van Lines moved my mother, my brother and I from Massachusetts to Iowa with no trouble, no damage and no delay. They weren't cheap, but they did exactly what we paid them to do.

I had North American Van Lines Movers too. I had a really small load and it's always hard to find someone to do. They were corporative and helpful. They also had the best price.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    How do you guys even find 4 1/2 year old threads? I have trouble doing it when I'm specifically looking, but threads keep getting casually resurrected as if no time had passed.

Are there dimensional anomalies in the internets I am unaware of?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ericwericw Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

How do you guys even find 4 1/2 year old threads? I have trouble doing it when I'm specifically looking, but threads keep getting casually resurrected as if no time had passed.

Are there dimensional anomalies in the internets I am unaware of?

lol no one ever told you the internet functions in multiple dimensions? time is simultaneous, 4 years means nothing

but seriously, it's alright to bump a thread once in a while if it has some good info in it and can be informative to people who probably didnt catch it back when it was active. it's easier than starting a whole new discussion about the same thing. so, here's my input...

i've used NAVL as my household movers a couple times... the drivers, loaders and unloaders were all very courteous and careful. i had no complaints.

most of the moving companies have storage services too, so i'd assume if they're good movers they're probably good store-ers
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuonRotto View Post

I'm going to be carpetbagging to the Raleigh-Durham area at the end of this month for a new job. With the signing bonus and no one down there to aid my move, I'm going to hire professional movers to load, delibver and unload most of my stuff. I'm going to take some clothes and some items of real value with me and drive down on my own.

The quotes I've been getting vary fairly wildly, from $800 to $2000, most settling in at $1400 for about 3000 lbs. of stuff.

Has anyone used pro movers or have either services to avoid or ones they would recommend?

I plan to pack everything myself except to let the movers wrap the big furniture. Also, I assume I'll be tipping the guys who are moving the stuff. Are there any hidden costs that you were hit by when you moved? Anything I should be looking out for or ask about ahead of time?

'WE MOVE U 4 LESS.'

How it works. A mover gives you a lowball estimate, takes your household belongings, then holds them hostage until you pay exorbitant and unexpected extra fees. A variation of the scheme involves a moving broker, who takes an initial deposit or payment up front from the consumer, then doesn't arrange for a carrier or arranges shipping by a legitimate licensed trucking company that doesn't expect payment until it delivers the goods; in the endgame of this cheap trick, the legitimate trucker wants payment on delivery to release the goods, but the customer already paid the broker--who's nowhere to be found.

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration received more than 600 hostage-freight complaints in 2005.

What you can do. Use only an insured mover registered with the federal Department of Transportation and licensed to transport goods interstate. Check credentials at www.fmcsa.dot.gov or call 202-366-9805. Don't hire a mover who gives an estimate without visiting your home, who demands cash or a large deposit before the move, or who shows up on moving day with a rental truck instead of a company-owned and marked fleet truck. Check with the company that issued your homeowner's insurance policy to see whether your goods are covered while in transit. If not, don't rely on the mover's minimal insurance coverage. Buy full-value protection insurance from the moving company or shop for moving insurance through your regular agent.