Buying an Imac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I am fairly new to macs, and was thinking of getting an imac, but on the apple website it says they have stopped production f the current model. Does this mean that they are merely updating it but keeping the current design (faser processer etc) or changing the design completely to a new cool thing! Also what sort of prices to opeople think they will be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Rumor is it's a whole new design. Faster of course, and hopefully the cost will be about the same as the previous models.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    I'm quite excited to see what the Apple design heads can come up with for the new iMac, because i'm very interested in getting a new one.

I've come to the decision that a PowerMac would be overkill. I like to play with powerful tech, but, i have to admit, i don't need all the power that a PowerMac comes with, although it would be nice.

So i've resolved to save enough to buy the new iMac, providing it's not crap. Let's hope it's great.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    You never know with Apple. It could get be an update to a G5 processor, faster ram and video card. or it could be a total redesign. Whatever they feel like doing.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dp101dp101 Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

You never know with Apple. It could get be an update to a G5 processor, faster ram and video card. or it could be a total redesign. Whatever they feel like doing.

I thought that Apple already said in their conference call that the new iMac will have a G5 in it and the reason they haven't shipped yet was difficulties meeting the quantity needed. They also said that they were working with IBM to meet their new target date and were very confident that they would meet it. I'm fully expecting a G5.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dp101

I thought that Apple already said in their conference call that the new iMac will have a G5 in it and the reason they haven't shipped yet was difficulties meeting the quantity needed. They also said that they were working with IBM to meet their new target date and were very confident that they would meet it. I'm fully expecting a G5.

Indeed they have. It was probably the most covered tech story for several days. Apple has hardley ever indicated in advance new products, let alone give specific info (it will feature a G5 processor). They say an announcement in September and delivery then. That probably means MacExpo in Paris at the end of August. I'd wait to see what the new iMac has to offer. You'll be able to get the current version at a good price however when the new one is introduced as even though Apple is not selling it on their website, many of their stores still have stock and direct mail companies do as well.