OS X doesn't display Finder's default icons in the right language

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I bought a 15" PowerBook G4 (first time switcher, yay) while visiting States earlier this summer and to my joy I found out that I can change OS X's language to my native language, Finnish. Could've never happened with WinXP... anyway, everything worked well until one day I noticed that instead of Finnish, Finder displays English text next to the standard icons (Network, Macintosh HD, Desktop, Applications, Documents, Movies etc.). Otherwise everything else is still in Finnish, including Finder's menu. Interestingly when I access my HD via Open/Save dialogs, all those standard icons have Finnish text. I've tried changing language to English and then back to Finnish, without any success. Even though this is not a critical bug, it's highly annoying. I love my PowerBook and OS X and I want it be perfect. What could've caused this and is there an easy way to get Finnish text back (or ANY other language for that matter)? The OS is Panther.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Just a note:

I have a friend with xp entirely in spanish and another with xp in simplified and traditional chinese.

I believe you can also get it in finnish.

Although I am not at all suggesting you use anything but osx
  • Reply 2 of 10
    To clarify my post, by changing language I meant changing the operating system language on the fly. If I want to replace my Finnish Windows XP with English Windows XP, I have re-install the OS, whereas with OS X I simply select a different language and log in again to see the changes in Finder.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I stand corrected
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by booradlly

I stand corrected

I beg you pardon? Windows XP is nowhere near when compared to OS X's ability to change language without re-installing the operating system.

Help regarding my original post is highly appreciated, though.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    digihdigih Posts: 21member
    Hi Speedlite,

You need to turn off 'Show all file extensions' in the Finder prefs.

Unfortunately this is a bug which is still around in Panther, changing your standard icons (Network, Macintosh HD, Desktop, Applications, Documents, Movies etc.) to English in any other language, whenever you got the 'Show all file extensions' option on.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Everything's back to normal again - thank you very much for your help, DigiH!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DigiH

Hi Speedlite,

You need to turn off 'Show all file extensions' in the Finder prefs.

Unfortunately this is a bug which is still around in Panther, changing your standard icons (Network, Macintosh HD, Desktop, Applications, Documents, Movies etc.) to English in any other language, whenever you got the 'Show all file extensions' option on.

Hope this helps.

WOW, as far as i know, this is the best "first time post" ever - thoroughly

welcome to AI
  • Reply 8 of 10
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Hi

I actually have a problem that's sort of the same... I bought my comp in Denmark and use English as primary language - however the date in the top right corner is still in danish (well the weekday). Doesn't really bother me, but if there away around it I'd like to know

TIA

:-)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    digihdigih Posts: 21member
    Hi :-),

Going to System Preferences - International - Formats, and changing the Region to the desired English setting should change the date and time to the format you want.

DigiH

Thanks for your hearty welcome Vox Barbara
  • Reply 10 of 10
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Thank you DigiH - you the man!!!

:-)