Incorrect Icons Showing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hello -- i am running the latest version of Panther, and i don't understand this: frequently my computer shows the wrong icons to correspond to things. For instance, I have the software update icon in the finder relating to my T3 dvd that is currently in the drive, and a blank spot on the desktop where the DVD icon should be. Other times it works fine. I have icons on clippings that i don't even recognize (the icons). I tried to repair permissions but it accomplishes nothing. The documents or discs that show an inappropriate icon still open in the correct program though. What should I do to repair this? It happens quite frequently, a different culprit each time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Have you done a restart?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I've been getting this, as well. Is this something that has to be repaired from the Terminal window, again?

It's possible a restart may be a temporary fix, but if these things keep creeping up over time such that regular restarts are prescribed, that really dampens the notion of sustained OSX uptime.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I'm another observer of this problem - annoying too!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jiminy c.jiminy c. Posts: 101member
    Me too. Can someone give me an advice?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    What is this? Some kind of virus?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    If you have TechTool run the Finder Info test, under Tests, Files, Finder info. Make sure to check Repair On, this will repair any custom icon files and so on.

You can buy techtool, or get applecare, techtool comes with it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I hear maybe log out then log back in might also be a cure as well. Not sure if this maintains your precious uptime.....
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    No restart needed.

[alt-cmd-esc], choose the Finder, hit the relaunch button and a few seconds later all is back to normal.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its not a virus. I have seen this appear on some macs since the installation of 10.3.4

But its a feature not a bug. It reminds you of all those programs you have on your computer but had forgotten all about reveiling hidden treasures.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Its not a virus. I have seen this appear on some macs since the installation of 10.3.4

It was there before 10.3.4. In fact, I have seen it since 10.3.0.

Not sure about Jaguar, though.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    It's good to know that I am not the only person that this is happening too!! Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
  • Reply 12 of 13
    The "Restart Finder" tip works like a charm THANKS !
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Worked for me, too! Thank you much!