Can snow airport base be used as client on express network?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a headless G4 without airport card, a snow base station and an iBook with extreme card. My G4 has all my music and is connected to the stereo (controlling the G4 with VNC and T68i). The base is feeding my G4 through the lan ethernet port and the iBook wireless.

Now I want to get a Airport express and replace the snow base with it. Then move the G4 to another room and hook it to the network wireless. BUT I don´t have a classic airport card and its very hard to find. Can I use the snow airport base as a "airport card" for it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I have a headless G4 without airport card, a snow base station and an iBook with extreme card. My G4 has all my music and is connected to the stereo (controlling the G4 with VNC and T68i). The base is feeding my G4 through the lan ethernet port and the iBook wireless.

Now I want to get a Airport express and replace the snow base with it. Then move the G4 to another room and hook it to the network wireless. BUT I don?t have a classic airport card and its very hard to find. Can I use the snow airport base as a "airport card" for it?

Don't think so. Reason being, as far as I know, the new airport express is 802.11G only. the old snows are 802.11b. so they wont be able to talk to each other.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    This is the place to answer your question.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108038 .

The important part deals with WDS

Using the wireless distribution system (WDS) feature, you can set up two to five base stations as a unified network that shares one Internet connection.

The base station that connects to your Internet service provider is the main base station. A remote base station connects wirelessly to the main station and extends (or "rebroadcasts") the wireless network to clients that are not in range of the main. A relay base station is like a remote, but it has the additional function of extending the wireless network to a remote which isn't within range of the main. There can be only one relay between a remote and a main.

AirPort Express and all AirPort Extreme base stations can use WDS. Earlier AirPort base stations can't.

To bad that there isn't a hack to give it this function.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Now I want to get a Airport express and replace the snow base with it. Then move the G4 to another room and hook it to the network wireless. BUT I don´t have a classic airport card and its very hard to find. Can I use the snow airport base as a "airport card" for it?

The snow AirPort base station can be used as a bridge between wired and wireless networks. That is what Anders is trying to do here, if I understand the original post.

The negative replies are incorrect on two important points:

1) AirPort Express does support 802.11b. It says so on the AirPort Express page. (The General did say that he was unsure, to be fair.)

2) This configuration does not involve using WDS (which is indeed not supported on the snow base station). The snow base station is not being used to extend the range of the wireless network; it is being used to receive the signal from the Express and bridge it to the G4.

I don't have the hardware to test this configuration, but I'm 99% sure that it will work.

-Ducallan-