Virus?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Got this supposedly from apple.

Dear user [email protected],

We have received reports that your account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited e-mail messages during the last week.

Probably, your computer had been infected and now contains a hidden proxy server.

We recommend you to follow the instructions in the attachment in order to keep your computer safe.

Virtually yours,

mac.com user support team.

It had a zip file which I of course did not open.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Got this supposedly from apple.

Dear user [email protected],

We have received reports that your account was used to send a huge amount of unsolicited e-mail messages during the last week.

Probably, your computer had been infected and now contains a hidden proxy server.

We recommend you to follow the instructions in the attachment in order to keep your computer safe.

Virtually yours,

mac.com user support team.

It had a zip file which I of course did not open.

i erad something a few days ago about how this is a strand of the mydoom virus. it wont affect you machine at all--its jsut a scare tactic. but then again, i'm not a .mac subscriber, so do what you want at your own risk.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I received a similar one from the 'postmaster' for the CS dept here.

Only one problem - we switched over to the main campus mail servers about a month ago.

It's not up to any good. Trash it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    I just received a similar one from Qwest--(my DSL provider) I trashed it before I opened it.