Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Jobs will be giving the keynote.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I want Phil "iPod Wheel" Schiller!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I want Frank! You know who Frank is, don't you? He's the guy that gave Jobs the dead digi-cam during an expo demo a year or two back. I hear they've kept him chained up under Jobs' desk as a warning to other peons just what'll happen if you screw up a Jobs' keynote.

Go Frank! Go Frank!
  • Reply 4 of 27
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I imagine that Steve Jobs will try to make it to Paris if his health permits. If not, maybe he will make an appearance via iChat AV.

I could also see Jobs slowly giving over the spotlight to other executives, and gradually phasing himself out, beginning with the Paris Expo. After all, Jobs has been stretched thin between Apple and Pixar for many years now. There's no doubt in my mind that cancer, even if benign and curable, has helped Jobs to reassess his priorities.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

I imagine that Steve Jobs will try to make it to Paris if his health permits. If not, maybe he will make an appearance via iChat AV.

I could also see Jobs slowly giving over the spotlight to other executives, and gradually phasing himself out, beginning with the Paris Expo. After all, Jobs has been stretched thin between Apple and Pixar for many years now. There's no doubt in my mind that cancer, even if benign and curable, has helped Jobs to reassess his priorities.

Escher

what evidence do you have that he has been spread thin? he doesn't even handle day to day operations at Pixar. He stops by a couple times a month.

He's not even 50 yet. He isn't going anywhere.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

what evidence do you have that he has been spread thin? he doesn't even handle day to day operations at Pixar. He stops by a couple times a month.

He's not even 50 yet. He isn't going anywhere.

He probably read a couple of the article floating around that are like "omg jobos cancer apple is doomed!1!"
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

He probably read a couple of the article floating around that are like "omg jobos cancer apple is doomed!1!"

"Jobos"
  • Reply 8 of 27
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NittanyLionTosh

"Jobos"

jobos is officially what you will refer to jobs as when making fun of lamers.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Phil S. will probably handle the keynote chores - he has experience in these matters, with an assist via satellite hookup from SJ. I wouldn't be surprised if SJ introduces the new iMac from California before it is wheeled on to the stage.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

There's no doubt in my mind that cancer, even if benign and curable, has helped Jobs to reassess his priorities.

Escher

I apologize about being picky, and please don't take it personally, but cancer by its very definition is not benign. A tumor can be benign but not cancer.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I want Phil "iPod Wheel" Schiller!

You mean Phil "MegaHertz Myth" Schiller?
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by a10t2

You mean Phil "MegaHertz Myth" Schiller?

No, it's Phil "Photoshop Bakeoff" Schiller.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    This is a good thread!

I too wonder about this, and what it means for Apple overall.

Dr. L
  • Reply 14 of 27
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Uh...if I am not mistaken the Paris Expo keynote is like August 31st...Steve said he'd be back to work in September...my guess is that 8/31 is close enough to September that Steve will be likely doing it.

Sheesh.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Uh...if I am not mistaken the Paris Expo keynote is like August 31st...Steve said he'd be back to work in September...my guess is that 8/31 is close enough to September that Steve will be likely doing it.

Sheesh.

Maybe, maybe not. Depending on how they did the surgery (was it laproscopic?) he might not want to stress himself by flying over to Europe. Flying puts huge stresses on bloodflow because of pressure changes, and sitting in a seat for hours (although if he uses his private jet he probably doesn't have to worry about this).

I'd rather he get healthy vs. flying to Paris to give a speech.

Besides, this is Apple, they get stuff out during the Summer months, you know, like September 21st? He has 30 days in September to choose from to get back on the clock.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Come on people, it's ok if Steve doesn't keynote in Paris. He doesn't have to do everything. And some of you sound so afraid about life without Steve. He'll have to leave eventually. "No!! He's not even 50, he can't be going anywhere, right? RIGHT?! That's some bogus claim from other websites!"

I'm sure Apple means nothing when weighed against his health. He'll be there if his health permits it, that's it. If the calendar says August 31 and he doesn't feel good he shouldn't do it. If it's Semptember 1, 5, 15 and he's not ready yet, well, he should stay home and rest.

So what if Jay Leno, Bob Dole or Dolly Parton keynote at the Paris Expo. It's about the products, not the people who announce them.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    monkeyastronaut,

Maybe so, but Jobs is probably the only person I know who could sell ice cubes to eskimos. Plus, while Dolly Parton does emit certain vibes, it's nothing, NOTHING compared to the jobos RDF effect.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

monkeyastronaut,

Maybe so, but Jobs is probably the only person I know who could sell ice cubes to eskimos. Plus, while Dolly Parton does emit certain vibes, it's nothing, NOTHING compared to the jobos RDF effect.

"Jobos" RDF Effect.

I agree completely. He's a great salesman.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Come on people, it's ok if Steve doesn't keynote in Paris. He doesn't have to do everything. And some of you sound so afraid about life without Steve. He'll have to leave eventually. "No!! He's not even 50, he can't be going anywhere, right? RIGHT?! That's some bogus claim from other websites!" ]

don't misquote me and especially dont take a quote out of context.

I'm fully aware that Jobs will eventually leave Apple. All i was doing is disputing escher's claim that he is spread thin with his two CEO jobs.

To be honest, i dont give a fuck if he stays or leaves....but I do think Apple is a lot stronger with him than without and in that regard we all should hope he stays for a considerably longer time.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

don't misquote me and especially dont take a quote out of context.

I'm fully aware that Jobs will eventually leave Apple. All i was doing is disputing escher's claim that he is spread thin with his two CEO jobs.

To be honest, i dont give a fuck if he stays or leaves....but I do think Apple is a lot stronger with him than without and in that regard we all should hope he stays for a considerably longer time.

It's not taken out of context and it's quoting several people into one, not just you. Apple needs to operate on their own. That "Steve is our savior" mentality won't help them in the long run. Instead of hoping he stays for a considerable longer time I think they need to start planning what they'll do if he decides to go. Groom a succesor, make the world believe they'll be ok, show them. I'm sure stockholders shit their pants just thinking about it, because this is one company that doesn't know how to work without the magical, save us all CEO. They need to start being a company like Wal-Mart which operates well after their founder died, and less like a cult.