iDvd encoder quality

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am using iMovie+iDvd (both v4.0x) combo to make dvds on a pb1.5. The material is recorded to a hdd recorder and when played back from the recorder is indistinguishable from the original when played back on the same TV. It is then imported via iMovie (firewire) and edited and then burnt to dvdr with iDvd.. It is here that I see the change in quality, edging and compression artifacts around text etc become apparent. On the apple iDvd page they note iDvd as having the same compressor technology as DVD Studio Pro 3.. is it the *same* or just a dumbed down consumer version of the tech.. i.e. will DVDPro3 give a better end result picture quality wise?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

I am using iMovie+iDvd (both v4.0x) combo to make dvds on a pb1.5. The material is recorded to a hdd recorder and when played back from the recorder is indistinguishable from the original when played back on the same TV. It is then imported via iMovie (firewire) and edited and then burnt to dvdr with iDvd.. It is here that I see the change in quality, edging and compression artifacts around text etc become apparent. On the apple iDvd page they note iDvd as having the same compressor technology as DVD Studio Pro 3.. is it the *same* or just a dumbed down consumer version of the tech.. i.e. will DVDPro3 give a better end result picture quality wise?

a lto depends on how much video you have. if its under an hour, it should be pretty decent. however, while the ncoder might be the same as DVDSP, you can customize everything in the pro app whereas iDVD just kinda chooses everything for you. if you do this a lot, spend the bucks. the quality is awesome if you know what youre doing
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Thx for the reply, typically the clips are 30-50 minutes long, with a few menu levels and say 30-60 jpegs added in a slideshow.. iDvd is always set to best quality..

p.s. Will DSP3 import iDVD projects?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Thx for the reply, typically the clips are 30-50 minutes long, with a few menu levels and say 30-60 jpegs added in a slideshow.. iDvd is always set to best quality..

p.s. Will DSP3 import iDVD projects?

yup. the only catch is that you have to navigate through all of your menus within iDVD before importing (dont ask me why).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    can you burn from idvd to a cd or does it have to be a dvd? i want to be able to move all the files but it seems that i might be stuck for now. also, i want to be able to test it out and see how it looks on a tv. btw, the text doesnt look all that great on my monitor, will it be better on the television? so, if the projects are larger than the space on a dvd, what type of compression does it go through, is it basically what any movie has to go through?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    tv rez stuff doesn't look good when you watch it on your computer monitor. pop the dvd into a tv to get a sense for it. stuff that looks bitmappy and lousy on your computer monitor might look perfect on a tv monitor. remember tv resolution is only 640x480 (720x486). that's a very small image compared to what you're used to in a still image.