Soon to be new mac user... yay!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

I just placed an order yesterday with apple's education store and got myself a 14" ibook and a 20GB ipod. I'm so excited. I was going to go with a 12" powerbook, but the screen was much too small for me... i need to see stuff bigger since i'm almost blind in one eye (glasses help, but not that much). Anyways, this is my first mac! woo hoo! I hate windows, and i can't wait till i get out of stupid windows.

i have to wait awhile for my new apple stuff though the estimated shipping date is Aug 24 -- hopefully it's OVER estimated and it will come sooner... I'M SO FRIGGIN IMPATIENT! hah hah.

Just thought i'd say hello to all you cool people out there!

peace,

mandi

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to AppleInsider.

The iBooks are sweet little machines, and I love my iPod.

p.s.: It's not a given, but Apple has been known to beat their estimated ship dates before.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Welcome aboard. You'll be such a happy computer user once you get it.

Oh, and that iPod, you'll love it. Waiting in line at the bank or doing your everyday stuff with it is just great when you have a soundtrack to it. It's a marvel.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    mandimandi Posts: 17member
    thanks for the warm welcome i will be VERY happy when they arrive. I'm currently using a sony vaio desktop. when my ibook comes this is all my brother's.

you know what angers me? everyone has been asking me "ew, mac... why are you going mac?" I just laugh at them, and ask 'why not?' they can't give me a logical answer... HA HA.

peace,

mandi
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I know what you mean. I have a PowerBook, it's about a year and a half old now. Everyone asks, "why mac?" But just wait till they see it. People are always impressed by the looks of the machine. Apple uses great materials on all their products. Then when they see OS X they get even more impressed. You might even convince some of your friends that macs are awesome. I convinced my brother and now he's a happy mac user too.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    when i hear people ask "why mac", I just take it in stride with a smile and counter-ask, "so, how were those viruses and conflicting windows security updates treatin' ya lately?"

They either knowingly growl and go away, or, they ask in surprise what I'm talking about and thats just a wonderful invitation to spread it think about UNIX foundations, better UI, and, of course, no virusses, and much better security...

and, uh, yeah, welcome to AI
  • Reply 6 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mandi

thanks for the warm welcome i will be VERY happy when they arrive. I'm currently using a sony vaio desktop. when my ibook comes this is all my brother's.

What'd he ever do to you?

Quote:

you know what angers me? everyone has been asking me "ew, mac... why are you going mac?" I just laugh at them, and ask 'why not?' they can't give me a logical answer... HA HA.

Exactly.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    People have this idea that macs are horrible machines or something. It drives me nuts! I had a theory, that computers running windows emit mind altering radiation that makes people think that windows is the best and only os in the world.

As for what my brother did to me... ahhh we have been enemies ever since he came into this world, and this is the ultimate punishment! HA HA. He can have this stupid virus harbouring computer. I must say, ever since i erased the whole hard drive and everything, and reinstalled windows xp, restricted my brothers account from downloading ANYTHING, this computer has been working like a charm. But of course it is nothing compared to a mac

BUT i believe this pc is a ticking time bomb, give it a few months and it will just be crap once again.

I remember one day in algebra class, my teacher didn't even teach, he went on a 90 minute lecture about how windows sucks, and macs are the way to go. I had respect for him from that day on.

I've been wanting a mac for the longest time, but i just came up with enough money to get one

-mandi
  • Reply 8 of 20
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Congrats mandi

You are now standing on the sunny side of the street, hope you enjoy the stay

PC peeps fear what they do not understand, because the mac is "foreign" to them they cant grasp the concept at all.. it only takes a few reads of switchers tales to show the real story behind the myths and excuses. Will look forward to reading your experiences when your ibook turns up.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

People have this idea that macs are horrible machines or something. It drives me nuts!

Don't worry. Once your Mac arrives, you'll instantly become a Smug Bastard? like the rest of us and impervious to the taunts of PC users.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    hah hah. boy i can't wait until it shows up on my door step!

this probably has been asked already, but... should i get an antivirus program for my mac? I know it will be rarely used Some people on another forum told me that Norton anti-virus sucks for macs and screws up their computer. So what would be suitable? (I didn't sign up for a .mac membership fyi)

peace,

mandi
  • Reply 11 of 20
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

... "so, how were those viruses and conflicting windows security updates treatin' ya lately?"

tip: next time you receive spam with attached viruses, just download them in front of your windows friends. I guess they all will yell like a bell. Then deliberately open this particular blabla.exe or blabla.pif file. ... Nooooow - the crowd is shocked. This will be a frigging experience, i swear you
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

hah hah. boy i can't wait until it shows up on my door step!

this probably has been asked already, but... should i get an antivirus program for my mac? I know it will be rarely used Some people on another forum told me that Norton anti-virus sucks for macs and screws up their computer. So what would be suitable? (I didn't sign up for a .mac membership fyi)

peace,

mandi

Norton Anti-virus sucks big time. I had it, but ended up uninstalling it because:

a) there really aren't any virus for OS X yet. Or at least, not that I know of.

b) it reeeeeeaaalllllyyyy slows down your machine. Don't try it.

c) Most virus out there affect Windows only. Virus makers go after Microsoft's operating systems.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Norton Anti-virus sucks big time. I had it, but ended up uninstalling it because:

a) there really aren't any virus for OS X yet. Or at least, not that I know of.

b) it reeeeeeaaalllllyyyy slows down your machine. Don't try it.

c) Most virus out there affect Windows only. Virus makers go after Microsoft's operating systems.

True, but on the other hand, it is possible that a Mac user can propagate a virus from one infected Windows user through, say, email to other Windows users. Thus, having an anti-virus application on your Mac is not such a bad idea.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

True, but on the other hand, it is possible that a Mac user can propagate a virus from one infected Windows user through, ...

...or to make widely known that viruses and the like do not harm macs.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

should i get an antivirus program for my mac? I know it will be rarely used Some people on another forum told me that Norton anti-virus sucks for macs and screws up their computer. So what would be suitable? (I didn't sign up for a .mac membership fyi)

Don't install any anti-virus software. Currently, there are more risks associated with anti-viral software gone bad then from actual viri.

I pay for .Mac but intentionally don't use the bundled AV software.

My recommendation may change if/when there are reports of real viri spreading through the Mac community. Until then, you're safer not installing software that messes with the system at such a low level.

If you're concerned aboiut the stuff on your computer, time and money is better spent on a reliable backup solution.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I have to admit... I was always one of those "Why Mac" people.... "tons less software available", "over priced", "just a bunch of marketing hype"... blah blah blah... My boyfriend has been a Mac guy forever (going back to the 2E days)... and having someone around constantly saying how wonderful the Mac is probably helped to annoy me even more.

Well... I'm not a big fan of Microsoft either (and I think there are REAL reasons to not like MS vs. my assummed reasons for not liking Apple). I really wanted to go with a non-MS OS. I've been watching the various versions of Linux mature over the years, but still haven't found something as friendly as Windows... the only other really mature consumer OS seemed to be OS X. The price of the iBook (12" G4) made it tempting to purchase just to play around with... plus... there was nothing in the PC notebook market with the same form factor that wasn't close to TWICE the price. Granted... alot of the PC notebooks were much faster than my 800MHz iBook... but when it comes down to it... all I use my iBook for is browsing the web wirelessly... catching up on work stuff (Word, Excel, etc)... and e-mail. Having a high power and much more expensive PC based notebook would just be a waste... I would never use the power for anything (it's hard to break out of the "more power... more power" mentality).

That said... I couldn't be happier with my iBook. I was thinking about upgrading to a PowerBook... but I was distracted by a Compaq Athlon 64 notebook instead. My iBook is by far the most portable and battery life tops the industry.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

... but I was distracted by a Compaq Athlon 64 notebook instead.

What do you mean ... distracted?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Thanks again for all the advice. I'm so impatient, it hasn't shipped yet. 12 more days until the estimated shipping date LOL.

I want one of those macskinz for my ibook to protect it from scratches, the ebay store doesn't ship to Canada, and they don't have them on their site yet. I hate when things get scratched! I like to keep all my belongings in near-perfect condition. Anyone know where I can get something to protect the ibook from scratches? Or some skins to make it look cool?

peace mac lovers,

mandi
  • Reply 19 of 20
    woo hoo!!! my ibook and ipod shipped the other day!!! It will be here in no time... I'm so excited! I must clean up my desk for my new baby. (hah hah, boy do I sound obsessive).

I bought myself a nice new mouse (logitech mx510 -huge but I love it), and I got MS office for mac.

Yes, I am ready.

And yes, I waited a hell of a long time for it! It better be worth it!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I just got my 14" iBook a week ago. It arrived a couple days before it was even estimated to ship. Same with the printer I ordered with it, I've had it for a couple days now and it's only supposed to ship on Wednesday. It was also upgraded from a 5150 to a 5740 for free.

I'm really liking my iBook so far, but there are still a couple of questions and concerns (see my thread on the Genius Bar area). But I already like Mac OS better than Windows. As I sit here my roommate is on his Windows XP laptop frantically trying to remove a bunch of spyware and adware. For internet and word processing, the iBook has been great so far. As for gaming, I'm hoping to get my old Windows desktop from home and upgrading some hardware.