Woman fired for eating pork

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Read the story.

http://www.local6.com/money/3614199/detail.html

I think this is a clear case of religious discrimination. A company policy that forbids certain foods on the basis of religious beliefs? Unacceptable. That would be like me saying my employees can't eat Bagels because I don't like jews and Bagels are "unclean". The policy isn't even written down, according to the article.

Your thoughts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It depends on what the law is in the state but I'd say that if they had a written company policy on it then they are within their rights to fire her.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    Oh and she was NOT fired for eating pork. She was fired for "refusing to comply with company policy that pork and pork products are not permissible on company premises".
  • Reply 3 of 68
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    it clearly isn't religious discrimination because whatever religion she is doesn't require that she eat pork or pork related products. period.

sorry sdw, you have a strange interpretation of the current tort applications of religious freedom. and you are very wrong on this one.
  • Reply 4 of 68
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    As much as I hate Jews, I do not see this as being an unfair requirement.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

As much as I hate Jews, I do not see this as being an unfair requirement.

As much as I hate the laugh out loud smiley, I really should use one right now.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    If there had been something in her contract about not eating pork, the company might, maybe, kinda, sorta have a leg to stand on. As best as I can tell, there's no way that company will win.
  • Reply 7 of 68
    It is company policy. It was written down. She was warned once.
  • Reply 8 of 68
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    The company is a bunch of muslim fanatics, i would eat a BLT and then throw the bacon everywhere along with ham sandwiches and a few ribs. more B.S. by the fanatics. some of these ideas are just stupid and sounds like these fanatics are not living in the 21st century. zealots have many forms and they all suck including this company. Pork for everyone screw this companies faith and idiotic practice of missing out on Pork BBQ!
  • Reply 9 of 68
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

It is company policy. It was written down. She was warned once.

Umm, did you bother to follow the link? The business owner clearly stated this policy was not written down.

Quote:

From Linked Article

However, by the company's own admission to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, that policy is not written, Local 6 News reported.

I swear Scott, if you ever start using your brain, the universe will come to a complete stop.
  • Reply 10 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

The company is a bunch of muslim fanatics, i would eat a BLT and then throw the bacon everywhere along with ham sandwiches and a few ribs. more B.S. by the fanatics. some of these ideas are just stupid and sounds like these fanatics are not living in the 21st century. zealots have many forms and they all suck including this company. Pork for everyone screw this companies faith and idiotic practice of missing out on Pork BBQ!

Who sounds like the idiot you or them?

Why not respect their religious ideologies?
  • Reply 11 of 68
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

I respect anyone's right to hold his or her own religious beliefs. I don't feel that I have to respect the beliefs themselves. There's a lot of stupid, inane shit that people say, do, and believe in the name of religion.

Maybe there are good health reasons not to eat pork. But not eating pork because pork is "unclean", and firing people who dare to bring pork near your oh-so-holy pork-free personage, is just as stupid and intolerant as acting the same way because you think aliens from Planet X are using pork to sap and impurify your precious bodily fluids -- in my view, calling it a "religious belief" doesn't make it any more respectable a belief.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

why are they imposing them on their employees?
  • Reply 13 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Umm, did you bother to follow the link? The business owner clearly stated this policy was not written down.

Sorry I miss read it.

Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I swear Scott, if you ever start using your brain, the universe will come to a complete stop.

Fuck off troll.
  • Reply 14 of 68
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Fuck off troll.

Impressive comeback dude. Very impressive.

That's right up there with "yo mama".

OTOH, looks like the universe will continue on its merry way.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Children, children. STFU.
  • Reply 16 of 68
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Presumably you support gay marriage, and would rush about marrying any man you could lay your hands on because some people want to deny this based on their faith? Screw the the idiotic Christian faith and the idiotic practice of missing out on gay weddings?

After all, it's just one faith's belief ... why should that be imposed on people who don't share the belief?

(You may well actually be in favour of gay marriage, I don't know)
  • Reply 17 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I respect anyone's right to hold his or her own religious beliefs. I don't feel that I have to respect the beliefs themselves. There's a lot of stupid, inane shit that people say, do, and believe in the name of religion.

Maybe there are good health reasons not to eat pork. But not eating pork because pork is "unclean", and firing people who dare to bring pork near your oh-so-holy pork-free personage, is just as stupid and intolerant as acting the same way because you think aliens from Planet X are using pork to sap and impurify your precious bodily fluids -- in my view, calling it a "religious belief" doesn't make it any more respectable a belief.

That is just it, though. This woman doesn't have the right to eat whatever she wants. Period.

Clarify: Yet she does have the right to practise whatever religion she wants. If she were a member of the all pork church, then the company would be fucked. But she isn't.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    Hey, if we're gonna drag marriages into this, why do we have the arbitrary limit of two people? Plenty of precedent out there supporting polygamy, even in the Judeo-Chrisitian faiths.

But back to the pork...

Say it was company policy you were not allowed to drink Pepsi. You could not have a Pepsi product on your desk, or even bring one into a company, lest you be fired. Is this fair? It does happen.

I would say companies can be in their rights regarding what kind of food you can bring on to their premises, but if they are like this, then they should provide a subsidized cafeteria to discourage an employee from buying and bringing in their own food. My two cents.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Say it was company policy you were not allowed to drink Pepsi. You could not have a Pepsi product on your desk, or even bring one into a company, lest

maybe if you worked at Coke?
  • Reply 20 of 68
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    If it is prohibited solely for religious reasons, it seems it would be in violation of the 1964 civil rights act which has a clause against forcing employees to participate in religious activities.

Apparently, however, the christian right doesn't think this applies to students.