Internet Connect freezing for VPN and Internal Modem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is my first post to this forum, so if I'm posting to the wrong area please let me know.

I'm running OS X 10.3.4 on a PowerBook G4.

A few weeks ago, I tried to configure my Mac to talk to the office VPN (using OpenVPN). But when I clicked on the "VPN" icon in Internet Connect I got that message that my computer needs to be setup to make VPN connections. I can select either option (L2PT over IPSEC, or PPTP) but after clicking Continue, nothing more happens... A message appears in the main Internect Connect stating something "Loading VPN (PPTP)". However, an icon for each attempt to create a VPN is displayed in the top of the Internet Connect window. I can delete them through the the Network Port Configurations panel of the Network System Preferences.

I also noticed that the same sort of thing happens when I try to look at my Internal Modem through Internet Connect. Just the message "Loading Internal Modem..." appears in the main window, but nothing else happens.

The status information for Airport displays correctly in Internet Connect.

And, finally, the first time I tried to create a VPN connection, an icon appeared in the top right area of the Apple Menu Bar. It appears to be related to VPN (menu items like the VPN status, etc.) I've found no way to get rid of the icon.

I've been searching on the Internet for several days now for some explanation, but have come up with nothing. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.