KB command for maximizing a window in os x

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello,

If I have an app minimized in the dock is there any such kb command that'll resize it up again?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Hello,

If I have an app minimized in the dock is there any such kb command that'll resize it up again?

It cannot be such a command. When you want to minimize a window, you apply the keyboard command and the OS minimizes the foreground window. How the OS could know which of the minimized windows do you like to maximize?

What you can do, is enable Dock focus from the keyboard in System Preferences (e.g. Ctrl-d), navigate the minimized windows with the left-right arrows and then hit enter when you find the one you want.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    and that....is a major omission imho

i use the keyboard a lot & its a major pain to not

be able to restore a window after cmd+m or cmd+h
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

and that....is a major omission imho

i use the keyboard a lot & its a major pain to not

be able to restore a window after cmd+m or cmd+h

Why not just use cmd+TAB? Just keep hitting the TAB key until the program you want is highlighted, then release the keys.

Am I missing something here?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    If the app is minimized and you do cmd+TAB to scroll through open apps, if you select the one that's minimized it doesn't maximize out on the screen...

What I do now is I use fn+ctrl+f3 to bring up the dock then arrow over to the app i want to use then hit return.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

If the app is minimized and you do cmd+TAB to scroll through open apps, if you select the one that's minimized it doesn't maximize out on the screen...

What I do now is I use fn+ctrl+f3 to bring up the dock then arrow over to the app i want to use then hit return.

It does for me. (?)

Thanks for the fn+ctrl+f3 key combo. I didn't know about that one.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I've been searching the Mac books at the bookstore for any kb tips & tricks.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Why not just use cmd+TAB? Just keep hitting the TAB key until the program you want is highlighted, then release the keys.

Am I missing something here?

not all apps restore their windows

osx is broken in this regard vs windows or kde
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

not all apps restore their windows

osx is broken in this regard vs windows or kde

I think you are a bit confused. In OS X, there are two different things: one is minimize a window, the other one is hide an application. When you minimize a window of an application, only this window is affected and otherwise the concerned application remains as it is. For example, if it has other windows open, those remain in their positions unaffected.

On the other hand, when you hide an application, you do exactly this, that is you hide every window of the application, visible or minimized. That's why upon hiding, any minimized window in the Dock, belonging to the application going to hide, disappears. When you restore (un-hide) the application, the OS restores its latest state, that is, for consistency reasons, the OS has to remember if there were any minimized or not windows and restore them in the place they were the last time. It just works the way simple logic suggests.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Here's something interesting I just found.

If you hide an application the ndo cmd-TAB and pick that app it comes up on the screen. No need to minimize.

Is there a reason we have minimize and hide? they seem to accomplish the same thing.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not in the least.

Minimize affects *one* window of an app, and it appears in minimized form in the Dock.

Hide affects *ALL* windows of an app, and none of the windows appear in the Dock - it is completely hidden. In fact, minimize a window first, so that it appears in the Dock, then hide the app. The minimized window will disappear from the Dock. The app is well and truly hidden.

The two are very dissimilar.