Burning multiple DVDs/CDs concurrently

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Do you know if it is possible to burn multiple DVDs or CDs concurrently from the Finder?

I need to burn about 40 DVDs of backup materials, and I wondered if it worth buying a second external DVD drive so that I could burn two DVDs, with different content, at the same time?

Does anybody know if the Finder supports this?

Cheers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    The answer to that'll be yes, then.

I've just burnt two CD-Rs concurrently with no problems.

I wonder if my system will manage two DVD-Rs at 8x then?

\
  • Reply 2 of 5
    wow really? i didn't think it would do that. does it seem like they're both running at full speed effectively doubling your speed or is the time benefit actually a wash?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    I have the latest toast on my G5 with the internal dvd burner and an external one. I simply made a copy of the toast icon so now I have 2 in my genie bar. When I want to burn 2 cd's or dvd's at the same time I open both in the genie and burn away. Speed is great 2 full dvd's in the time of one.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

wow really? i didn't think it would do that. does it seem like they're both running at full speed effectively doubling your speed or is the time benefit actually a wash?

It's hard to tell, because I didn't actually burn full CDs so I wasn't able to compare it to anything. They did, from a purely subjective point of view, appear to burn at full speed.

I'll report back once I've tried it again with 8x DVD-Rs.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    If you try to burn to 2 dvd burner's at 8x just make sure that your hard drive can maintain the read performance of 2 of them simultaneously. I don't think it should be a problem with today's hard drives cause I think one dvd burner at 8x is like 10-11MB/sec or something like that. SO 2 of them would be 20-22MB/sec.

Good luck, like I said I had no problem.