12" Powerbook: Minor Accident Resistance

ikaika
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Will the computer/hdd/etc. be damaged by things like 3-foot drops or sudden bumps? If so, can anyone recommend a cheap padded case? Would that make a difference?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    toadietoadie Posts: 78member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ika

Will the computer/hdd/etc. be damaged by things like 3-foot drops or sudden bumps? If so, can anyone recommend a cheap padded case? Would that make a difference?

I tripped over my power cord, which sent mine flying off of my desk. It landed on its front left corner, slammed shut, and went to sleep. It has a dent, but never hiccuped after the "accident."
  • Reply 2 of 12
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ika

One day I tossed my 12" PB on my bed. The unit bounce off the bed a foot and proceeded to land on the floor about 4' down. Never had a problem with my unit.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Can the same thing be said of the Apple iBook G4?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I'm assuming it would be because I have a iBook G3 and I had it in my bookbag and didn't remember and threw it across my room and it hit the wall (about 5 feet away). Yeah I remembered really quick when I heard the crunch. Other then my monitor not sitting flat on my keyboard anymore, though it does latch, I haven't noticed any problems. Still same old G3 as usually. And since they didn't make any real major changes to the case for the G4's I would say it holds up nicely.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Ika: Notwithstanding the stories of rugged iBooks and PowerBooks above, I recommend that you get a padded sleeve case.

During 3+ years with my iBook (Dual USB), I had both good and bad luck. Good luck included several drops without breakage. Bad luck was dropping my backpack with unpadded iBook onto a concrete walkway at an airport, which broke the CD-ROM tray. So far, I haven't had any incidents with my 12-inch PowerBook.

In terms of cases, I swear by my WaterField SleeveCase. It cost about $40, but has successfully protected my iBook during extensive local, domestic and international travel, by road, rail, and air.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 12
    A couple of weeks after buying my 867 MHz 12" PowerBook a while ago, it fell onto a concrete pavement. I had it in a non-padded messenger bag on my way to work - well, the plastic clip holding the shoulder strap broke and down it went. The only damage was cosmetic: Buckling at 2 places, one to the right of the hinge where the speaker grill is and the other slightly to the upper left of the slot drive opening. Still working today with nary a hiccup. I did quickly get another bag that was padded; the bag was from Crumpler. I'd recommend it also because the bag seems impervious to the rain deluges that I seem to get caught in more often than I'd like. These machines are great!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    i use a caselogic bag for my 12" iBook...no problem so far.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Macally. I got mine at Micro Center. Thye also have iPod cases etc...

http://www.macally.com/spec/carrying...ro_series.html
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by agallant

Macally. I got mine at Micro Center. Thye also have iPod cases etc...

http://www.macally.com/spec/carrying...ro_series.html

I have the MacAlly designer messenger V and love it. I also have the Brenthaven for my 12PB and it is great as well.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Digital_D

Can the same thing be said of the Apple iBook G4?

I heard that the iBook is even more durable, because its drives are suspended in shock-insulated carriages.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I heard that the iBook is even more durable, because its drives are suspended in shock-insulated carriages.

The 12" PB has the hard drive in a shock mount too.

I know because I pulled my PB off a table, it dropped to the floor and killed the hard drive.

I opened it up to replace the hard drive, put it back together, but it won't boot up.

I miss my PowerBook.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

The 12" PB has the hard drive in a shock mount too.

I know because I pulled my PB off a table, it dropped to the floor and killed the hard drive.

I opened it up to replace the hard drive, put it back together, but it won't boot up.

I miss my PowerBook.

Sorry to hear it. Losing a loved one sucks.