L3 cache

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it possible to upgrade the L3 cache on the dual 1gb from 1mb to 2mb?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    unless you are _EXTREMELY_ good at micro-soldering, the answer is no.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    What he said.

The short answer is no.

It is technically possible to add or replace an SRAM chip and solder it onto the daughter card, but I wouldn't recommend you try. The chances of you breaking something are EXTREMELY high.

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Son of Pismo ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Just as a post-script to the original remark:

Why did Apple not up the on-chip L2 cache from 256k to 512k, like the newest iBooks have? I guess maybe the difference in speed was just too neglegeable to bother?

-Dual 867
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Because modern processors have there L2 cache on chip, and the G4 is made using a 0.18-micron process. There simply isn't room for more transistors without increasing the die size, which costs BIG $$. (an extra 256K of memory is over a million transistor BTW)

The new G3s have 512K L2 cache because they are 0.13-micron and which allowed IBM to put more transistors on the core without increasing the die size.

Hope this answers your question.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Sure does...Thanx Pismo!

-Dual 867

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: Dual 867 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Actually, Apple can't increase the L2 cache size because Apple doesn't make the CPUs.

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: wmf ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Yes they can. L3 cache is off chip. When you buy a G4 from Motorola it doesn't come with L3 cache, although it supports it. Apple simply places SRAM chips of its daughter cards which the G4 detects and utilizes.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ..i guess if we could replace the level 3 cache , we'd upgrade even less..
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Do you have any idea how expensive SRAM is? I bet 1MB of the SRAM Apple uses goes for atleast $100. :eek:

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: Son of Pismo ]</p>