Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" to deliver networking-related enhancements

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" will include several networking-related improvements to system technologies such as Rendezvous and CFNetwork and will also introduce a new network-based diagnostics features, sources tell AppleInsider.

Rendezvous Enhancements

Tiger will sport an enhancement to Rendezvous that will allow the networking technology to support browsing across subnets, whereas previous versions of Rendezvous returned only the local subnet. When asked for a list of available domain names, the new version will return the list of all available domain names, sources said.

In July, AppleInsider was first to report that Apple and Tibco Software had settled a trademark dispute through a mutual out of court settlement. As part of the deal, Apple reportedly agreed to phase out its use of the "Rendezvous" name and will most likely rename the technology "OpenTalk" before Tiger hits the market.

CFNetwork Enhancements

CFNetwork is a framework which provides developers with programming interfaces aimed at making network-based communications easier. It is designed for programs that work with BSD sockets, manage information about remote hosts, or interact with HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP servers.

The version of CFNetwork that will ship with Tiger will include stability and performance enhancements and improved interoperability with NT LAN Manager. More specifically, Tiger will add support for "CFHTTPAuthentication," which provides support for efficient authentication of HTTP proxies and HTTP servers supporting Basic, Digest, SPNEGO, and NTLM authentication methods.

New Diagnostic App

Additionally, sources say that a new network diagnostics feature of Tiger will allow developers to interface their applications with an underlying Mac OS X 10.4 diagnostic application that would ultimately help user locate and correct network issues.

The functionality is said to be an extension of the CFNetwork framework called CFNetDiagnostics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Cool I figured that Opentalk nee Rendezvous would add support for "crossing" subnets when I say the WWDC sessions talking about new features.

The diagnostics stuff seem cool as well. Tiger Server is going to be one nice piece of software. I hope Apple has some nice new applications to run in an OSX Server environment.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Cool I figured that Opentalk nee Rendezvous would add support for "crossing" subnets when I say the WWDC sessions talking about new features.

The diagnostics stuff seem cool as well. Tiger Server is going to be one nice piece of software. I hope Apple has some nice new applications to run in an OSX Server environment.

Tiger is going to be ridiculously cool for developers as well for end-users. I can't believe the amount of stuff that will be in there.

OpenGL 2.0 specs have also been finalized and announced...I think (hope) Apple has plenty of time to ship a full implementation of OpenGL 2.0 with Tiger on it's first release (10.4.0).

The more incentive Apple gives people to upgrade, the less time they need to spend supporting older versions of OS X. People should upgrade just for security fixes alone. But OpenGL 2.0, QuickTime 7, Spotlight, iChat + H.264/AVC, Dashboard should be incentive enough.

If Apple could unveil a new office suite and bundle it with Tiger, people would be crazy not to upgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Tiger is going to be ridiculously cool for developers as well for end-users. I can't believe the amount of stuff that will be in there.

OpenGL 2.0 specs have also been finalized and announced...I think (hope) Apple has plenty of time to ship a full implementation of OpenGL 2.0 with Tiger on it's first release (10.4.0).

The more incentive Apple gives people to upgrade, the less time they need to spend supporting older versions of OS X. People should upgrade just for security fixes alone. But OpenGL 2.0, QuickTime 7, Spotlight, iChat + H.264/AVC, Dashboard should be incentive enough.

If Apple could unveil a new office suite and bundle it with Tiger, people would be crazy not to upgrade.

I agree. An office suite, ilife, ichat, dashboard, qt7, etc.

Sales pitch...Buy this computer and bundle and never open windows again!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Or how about, "Buy this and never have to worry about software again."
  • Reply 5 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Too MS-ian.

"Buy this computer, and never have to worry about your *DATA* again."

Much better.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Tiger is starting to look like it is going to be an amazing operating system, both above the hood and below.

And to think how disappointed people were with Tiger after WWDC. I was one of them, but it now seems like this will be the best OS release out of all of them in terms of features.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Tiger is starting to look like it is going to be an amazing operating system, both above the hood and below.

And to think how disappointed people were with Tiger after WWDC. I was one of them, but it now seems like this will be the best OS release out of all of them in terms of features.

I never had any doubts. I pored over the WWDC Session list and tried to read between the lines and all I could get was "wow" a lot of new stuff. Much of it takes a bit of imagination though. I mean Expose didn't sound hot on paper but in use it's pretty damn cool.

Tiger is going to be the switchers OS. It really is. Panther is good enough to get some switchers but Tiger is going to make eyeballs pop with the right demonstration. I mean even Automator is a homerun when demo'd right.

We haven't even gotten into iLife 5, the next iCal and possibly Addressbook updates. The networking updates and ACL stuff mean that OSX Server is ready to start being deployed heavily.

Apple is almost there. One nice Apple Office suite and we're off to the races.