Merging items within folders

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all

Coming from the Windows world this might be a silly question but I'm looking at trying to copy one folder (with files) onto a folder with the same name on the different drive without overwriting the files inside the destination.

For example ....

I have 2 Harddrives HD1 and HD2

Both have a folder called Downloads

I wish to move the files from HD1 Downloads to HD2 Downloads by the moving the folder itself.

When I do this in finder it replaces the files in the HD2 Downloads with the files from HD1 and therefore I lose the files.

I know I can open the folders and moves the files themselves but this a pain if I'm moving a lot of files around and its so easy to overright files if I say Replace All.

Is there a little app/script which will just add the files from the first folder to the second without deleting it?

Ideally this would work in finder itself.

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Oooh, good question. I'd recommend just opening HD2 folder, selecting all of its contents, and just dragging them into the HD1 folder.

BTW, this would be a job for Automator in OS X 10.4. (Or Applescript, but I know crap about AS)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    If you wish to keep the duplicate items in Downloads 1 but move the other files from Downloads 2

move Downloads 1 to Downloads 2 and over-write the duplicates

and then move them back to Downloads 1 (since that's the final location you said you wanted them)

otherwise, you'll just have to painstakingly do it by hand.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Only small problem with moving the folder like that is that both folders have files in them, so if I do it that way I lose files

I love my G3 laptop and G4 desktop, but this is one of the only things that Windows does easier then OSX

Guess I'll have to wait to see if it comes with Tiger.