Track Numbers in iPod? (and newbie questions)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just finally bought my first iPod, a 4G 20GB, and have a couple questions.

First of all, is it possible to make the iPod display track numbers in front of songs? I guess I could manually write in all the track numbers into the song title in iTunes, but this would be a ton of work, and it seems like this feature (if it doesn't allready exist) could be easily added.

Second: I've had the iPod for about a week now. Everything has gone fine so far except a few days ago it turned itself off and wouldn't turn back on. I went to go use it and it was off and just wouldn't respond to anything. I had to reset it manually before it would start working again. This had me a bit upset and sort of worried that it would happen to a brand new iPod. It hasn't happened again since, but.... should I be worried?

And lastly, and reccommendations on good third party programs to put on it? I allready have Pod2Go and think it's pretty neat. Any other cool ones out there?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    1. Only way to get the track numbers is to have them in the track name. If you are using iTunes on a Mac you could write (or find) an applescript to do this for you. I could come up with something to do it, if you need it.

2. The iPod crashes sometimes. It should be fine as long as it works after a hard reset. Mine crashes about once a month. Not a big deal as far as i can tell.

3. The iPod does not support third party applications. iPod2Go and similar applications just use the iPod's note feature to automatically gather and sync information to the iPod. You can't add software to the iPod.

Quote:

Originally posted by digitalandres

I just finally bought my first iPod, a 4G 20GB, and have a couple questions.

First of all, is it possible to make the iPod display track numbers in front of songs? I guess I could manually write in all the track numbers into the song title in iTunes, but this would be a ton of work, and it seems like this feature (if it doesn't allready exist) could be easily added.

Second: I've had the iPod for about a week now. Everything has gone fine so far except a few days ago it turned itself off and wouldn't turn back on. I went to go use it and it was off and just wouldn't respond to anything. I had to reset it manually before it would start working again. This had me a bit upset and sort of worried that it would happen to a brand new iPod. It hasn't happened again since, but.... should I be worried?

And lastly, and reccommendations on good third party programs to put on it? I allready have Pod2Go and think it's pretty neat. Any other cool ones out there?

Thanks

• Reply 2 of 2
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I modified some applescript I found from: http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/s...xtotracknumber

I tested it briefly, but it should work fine for what you are looking for.

Open up Apple Script Editor.

Paste this code in.

Select the tracks to convert in iTunes.

Click "Run" in AS Editor and it should work it's magic.

Code:

(*

Track Number to Number Prefix

Orginal Code by Doug Adams - [email protected]

Modified by Mike Murphy

Copies the track number of the selected tracks to each track's name tag.

Ignores tracks without track number.

*)

tell application "iTunes"

if selection exists then

set sel to a reference to selection

if class of (item 1 of sel) is file track then

repeat with i from 1 to count of sel

set theTrack to item i of sel

tell theTrack

set n to name

try

set y to the track number as number

if y is not 0 then

set name to y & " " & n as text

end if

end try

end tell

end repeat

else

tell me to message_and_cancel("Wrong type of tracks selected.")

end if

else

tell me to message_and_cancel("You must select one or more tracks first.")

end if -- no selection

end tell

to message_and_cancel(ms)

display dialog ms buttons {"Cancel"} default button 1 with icon 0

end message_and_cancel