Can't share internet via AirPort the "right" direction. Have mercy on my AirPort God

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys, I've got a real head-scratcher here for you. I hope that someone has run into this before because it's mind blowing for me. I just got a Linksys 802.11G card for my Quicksilver PowerMac. Installation went great! The PowerMac recognized it as AirPort with no fuss and I can transfer files nice and fast with my iBook G4 w/ AirPort Extreme now.

-Here's the problem:

I turn on internet connection sharing on the PowerMac to share it's connection from ethernet via AirPort and the iBook can't browse, e-mail, or message.

-Here's the head-scratching:

When I reverse the setup and put the iBook on the ethernet connection and share IT's connection to the PowerMac via AirPort, the PowerMac can browse just fine. (And yes, I DID disconnect all other possible connections on the PowerMac. It WAS definately browsing via AirPort)

-More info my would-be heroes might want:

>Both computers surf just fine when connected via ethernet.

>Wired Macs get their internet from my Dad's computer, a Pentium 3 running Windows Me with internet connection sharing on.

>That machine gets the internet for the house through a wireless connection to our ISP

Please, don't hesitate to post if you need any other info in order to save the day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    sorry for the really silly question. you have "internet sharing" switched on on your PM?

and:

is file sharing possible with your setup? connect to server? pushing some file via air...?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

sorry for the really silly question. you have "internet sharing" switched on on your PM?

and:

is file sharing possible with your setup? connect to server? pushing some file via air...?

Yep, I have internet sharing turned on, and file sharing works just fine between the two.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Guess what... Most airplane crashes are caused by pilot error. It would seem that most Mac problems are also user error....

Turns out that I had my firewall on the whole time. I'm now happily (though somewhat sheepishly) posting from a wire-free iBook. Remember kids, OS X's firewall MUST be down for internet connection sharing to work!

And on that note, does anyone know of a firewall program that can block just the ethernet port, leaving my AirPort open?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    You might just have to open port 443.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107653

If you don't open an extra port, Firewall will block the use of Internet Sharing.

Symptom

A client of your shared Internet connection can get an IP address from your computer, but it cannot actually access the Internet.

Products affected

Mac OS X 10.2 and later

Solution

These steps open port 443, which should resolve the issue.

Turn on Personal Web Sharing in the Sharing preference pane.

Click the Firewall tab.

Click the New button.

From the Port Name pop-up menu, choose Other.

In the Port Number field, type: 443

In the description field, type: https

Click OK.

Turn off Firewall and Internet Sharing.

Turn on Firewall and Internet Sharing.

Hope this helps

reg