Distributed Computing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello I wanted to let you all know about an application you can install on your computer that will aid in finding a cure for cancer and other diseases.

I go by redhatgeek and I am a team captain of www.crunchers4life.com. I contribute to a project called find a drug for more information please visit this site www.find-a-drug.org

Would you consider joining individually or forming a team on our project? We could use your assistance. I have been attempting to recruit members for my team but if you would like to form your own that?s fine too. For more information on find-a-drug please visit www.find-a-drug.com. We could use your support. Our team number is 2121. The software can be downloaded here http://www.find-a-drug.org/download.html both linux and windows clients are available.

If you are interested but are only a mac user please consider joining are Folding@home team # 39709. F@H has a native mac client

Thank you for your attention any and all contributions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    If it were for baldness I'd join but otherwise no.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    maybe possible i'll ask...lol

they support all kinds of things

i'll get back to ya
  • Reply 3 of 11
    btw you tried rogaine
  • Reply 4 of 11
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Shit no man. Bald is beautiful.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ok charlie brown
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibookgeek

btw you tried rogaine

Yes, and all that happened is that I grew nose hairs down to my lips. this is not a joke. Rogaine can spur hair growth everywhere. I decided to go with the Picard look instead (well a fat Picard)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    hmmm....
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ikaika Posts: 52member
    I'm on a Windows computer for the next two weeks, so I installed it. Curing things is good. I can just let this run in the background and ignore it, right?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    yes it will run in the background...

very cool btw did you pick a team?

what are the specs on the win box?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    apparently it's possible for our project to do hairloss research see here

Role of TGF-beta2 in the human hair cycle.

Hibino T, Nishiyama T.

Shiseido Life Science Research Center, 2-12-1 Fukuura, Kanazawa-ku, Yokohama 236-8643, Japan. [email protected]

Male pattern baldness is the result of premature entry into catagen due to androgens. In order to prevent hair loss, it is important to understand two critical steps, i.e., the induction mechanism of premature entry and the regression process of catagen. At the initiation, dihydrotestosterone (DHT) stimulates synthesis of transforming growth factor-beta2 (TGF-beta2) in dermal papilla cells. TGF-beta2 suppresses proliferation of epithelial cells and stimulates synthesis of certain caspases. Then TGF-beta2 triggers the intrinsic caspase network and subsequently epithelial cells are eliminated through apoptotic cell death. TGF-beta antagonists are effective in preventing catagen-like morphological changes and in promoting elongation of hair follicles in vivo and in vitro. These lines of evidence strongly suggest the presence of a "catagen cascade" in male pattern baldness, involving: (1) the conversion of testosterone to DHT by type II 5-alpha-reductase; (2) the synthesis of TGF-beta2 in dermal papilla cells; and (3) the activation of the intrinsic caspase network. These sequential events contribute to the shortening of the human hair cycle. Copyright 2004 Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology

PMID: 15194142 [PubMed - in process]
  • Reply 11 of 11
    created a folding @ home team # 39709 for mac only users

updated message @ the top