TS reports on new imac specs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Check out the Think Secret story on the new Imac specs. 17 & 20 inch widescreen, confirms AIO pizza box design similar to Sony, priced from 1300 - 2200, Geforce MX 5200 ultra graphics (any good?). Still crippled RAM. No pics though.

new imacs

edit to add more thoughts: So since someone else has broken more details, AI, isn't it time to post the, so called, super reliable mock ups?

If the top of line is $2200, considering the 20" cinema display is 1300 by itself, seems like a good price. Al though the edu $1300 model seems too high for schools. Why take this over an Emac? Lack of an optical drive can't be the only attraction. Might as well release a optical drive less Emac and reduce the price by $100-$200. They'll gobble it up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

Check out the Think Secret story on the new Imac specs. 17 & 20 inch widescreen, confirms AIO pizza box design similar to Sony, priced from 1300 - 2200, Geforce MX 5200 ultra graphics (any good?). Still crippled RAM. No pics though.

new imacs

The sony VAiO mentioned is the ugliest computer I have ever seen.

Please say it's not true
  • Reply 2 of 697
    Mostly as expected. But what's up with the graphics card?
  • Reply 3 of 697
    Well, if this is correct, then Apple has given up on the consumer market. Unfortunately TS is usually correct.
  • Reply 4 of 697
    Nice ... and EXPENSIVE.

So much for my dreams of a cheap, headless, single processor, minimally upgradeable G5. Hopefully they have something else up their sleeves for later release.
  • Reply 5 of 697
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nsousansousa

The sony VAiO mentioned is the ugliest computer I have ever seen.

Please say it's not true

Well, since all the sites are reporting pizza box design, it's probably true. I am sure that Ive will make it much more appealing than the sony and we'll soon be ooohing & aaahing over it. Hell i'll bet that guy can make a dumpster look sexy!
  • Reply 6 of 697
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    I am kinda glad I didnt wait for an iMac now and got my 1.5 Powerbook instead .. I was thinking if the iMac didnt hit with at least 2ghz then I wouldnt buy it.. looks like I guessed right. The graphics card in the rumors are a bit of a let down again.. with tiger leveraging more and more on the GPU the powerbooks ATI card and 128mb will be just a treat.

Looks like a Rev B G5 powerbook is my next purchase

Cant wait to see the pics tho, hopefully they do look a fair bit nicer than that sony which is very ickky..
  • Reply 7 of 697
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    I just checked Nvidia's website ad there is no Geforce MX 5200 Ultra card! so is this something custom built for Apple? Do the tech guru's here know anything about this card? Google doesn't show up anything either.
  • Reply 8 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

Mostly as expected. But what's up with the graphics card?

The educational (GeForce4 MX) won't support Core Image.

All of the consumer models (GeForce 5200 Ultra) meet the spec for Core Image.

Differentiates from the PowerMac.

If the eMac gets a G5, even money says edu stays GF4 and consumer gets 5200 Ultra to match.

Or maybe it's all RDF and the real GPU rocks. "Way beyond the rumour sites"

Cool that the 20th Anniversary iMac will echo the design of Spartacus/"Twentieth Anniversary Mac"
  • Reply 9 of 697
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    Since I was one of those who never bought the headless argument or the "I want PowerMac specs at eMachines prices" ranting, the specs and prices that ThinkSecret is talking about sound about right.

I expect that they will sell as well as the last iMac did when it first came out.

More importantly, spreading the G5 to another product line (at whatever price points) is important for Apple's long-term plans.

These machines (if the specs hold true) will run Tiger nicely. Not as well as a fully-tricked-out PowerMac, of course, but not bad at all!
  • Reply 10 of 697
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the thinksecret article has me confused

is the edu optical driveless model the 1300 model or an even cheaper model?

17 inch iMac

1.6Ghz G5

80GB HD

Geforce 5300 Ultra 64MB RAM

256MB RAM

airport, firewire, usb, ethernet

$1299 is not bad

problem......no superdrive. if that had a superdrive it'd be a pretty nice effort. without it, you go into the unaffordable zone since you cant BTO iMacs.

we'll have to see. i'm suspicious since I think the iMacs are a very tightly kept secret and this is a fairly early leak....but thinksecret has a great record.

little dissapointed Apple isn't being more aggressive
  • Reply 11 of 697
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Look I don't care about product differentiation. NO computer over $1k should come without a DVD Burner. The memory isn't a big deal as 512MB is what $70 or less. But someone that buys a Mac over a grand should be able to burn DVDs with iDVD period. And what's with the lack of Gigabit? A freakin $120 taiwanese motherboard has gigabit now.

I'm ok with the GPU for this first generation, I'm ok with a 1.6 or 1.8Ghz G5 but for chrissakes please don't cut the Macs in areas that don't need to be cut.
  • Reply 12 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Look I don't care about product differentiation. NOcomputer over $1k should come without a DVD Burner. The memory isn't a big deal as 512MB is what $70 or less. But someone that buys a Mac over a grand should be able to burn DVDs with iDVD period. And what's with the lack of Gigabit? A freakin $120 taiwanese motherboard has gigabit now.

I'm ok with the GPU for this first generation, I'm ok with a 1.6 or 1.8Ghz G5 but for chrissakes please don't cut the Macs in areas that don't need to be cut.

agree with every word you said. that could be a first.

DVD burners are so cheap...so in desire...and so popular right now that it would be a crime for apple to not include on the low end when they have the best software for the drives.

if that had a dvd burner I'D buy one.
  • Reply 13 of 697
    As Jamil has so eloquently put it: The Sony VAIO is damn ugly.

I hope that the new iMac can do as the first generations did, it made people fall in love with it.

I have an iMac450DV+ , and everyone who sees it for the first time, have to touch it. They shake their heads, with a smile and a laughter.

The iMac is not a pc, it is something more than that. We all know this, let´s hope Apple knows it too !

Zon
  • Reply 14 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by zenarcade

As Jamil has so eloquently put it: The Sony VAIO is damn ugly.

I hope that the new iMac can do as the first generations did, it made people fall in love with it.

I have an iMac450DV+ , and everyone who sees it for the first time, have to touch it. They shake their heads, with a smile and a laughter.

The iMac is not a pc, it is something more than that. We all know this, let´s hope Apple knows it too !

Zon

Hey that's cool man I'm glad it's not a PC but if I'm spending $1300 clams I want a DVD burner and something that can run Doom III a little faster than 8fps. I'll cut Apple some slack because this computer was supposed to be shipping already but Rev B needs a little juicing up in some areas.
  • Reply 15 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Hey that's cool man I'm glad it's not a PC but if I'm spending $1300 clams I want a DVD burner and something that can run Doom III a little faster than 8fps. I'll cut Apple some slack because this computer was supposed to be shipping already but Rev B needs a little juicing up in some areas.

i cant believe we're already looking towards rev b.

why can't apple just do it right the first time\
  • Reply 16 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i cant believe we're already looking towards rev b.

why can't apple just do it right the first time\

I'm not steamed because I have to wait until next spring anyways so I'll hang tight for whatever Apple has for a followup.

I will say I'm happy that Steve is back on board but I don't share the Press' irrational fear that if Steve where to somehow give it up Apple is in trouble. In ways the iMac shows what's wrong with Apple. They are still still in love with "Props over Property". Apple would trade 10,000 sales for the adjulation of the press over one of their products or at least it seems that way.

I think it is possible that the specs may change. I do find it strange that Apple has stated that that the G5 is constrained. The iMac would be the only current shipping computer with 1.6Ghz G5s and it would share the 1.8s with the lowend Powermac.

I'm sure it'll look sexy though and make me forget some of it's issues other than a DVD Burner. I just can't believe Apple would ship iLife on an iMac G5 that can't burn DVDs. My mind won't accept it.
  • Reply 17 of 697
    Only the entry-level model won't have a Superdrive right? And it is still possible that it may have a Superdrive option as BTO. Why is everyone so worked up?

But now that I think of it, the iMac's graphics card makes it unable to play a lot of the new games that will be sold over the next year. So Apple should at least give it the power to edit and burn DVDs. Otherwise, you'd be paying over $1300 just to get a internet and iTunes machine.
  • Reply 18 of 697
    Quote:

Only the entry-level model won't have a Superdrive right? And it is still possible that it may have a Superdrive option as BTO. Why is everyone so worked up?

1299 is a high entry point. the next model will surely be 1499. an even higher entry point if you want a superdrive.

apple doesnt do BTO on iMacs.
  • Reply 19 of 697
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

1299 is a high entry point. the next model will surely be 1499. an even higher entry point if you want a superdrive.

Okay, so the problem is not necessarily Apple's lineup but rather Apple's pricing. If the entry model was $999, then things would have been better.

I don't think Apple's lineup can be changed at this point but maybe they will read these posts and readjust the prices.
  • Reply 20 of 697
    Quote:

Okay, so the problem is not necessarily Apple's lineup but rather Apple's pricing. If the entry model was $999, then things would have been better.

I don't think Apple's lineup can be changed at this point but maybe they will read these posts and readjust the prices.

if that were 999 i dont think anyone would be complaining.

1299 is a pricepoint on the high end of most people buying home desktops these days. for that price you should have a dvd burner. hell you can get them for 90 bucks retail now. 8x drives