The END of the PowerMac Line?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
When do you think Apple will end the PowerMac line? Is the G5 chip enough to change the entire thinking of what a computer is (thanks to its 64-bit arch.)? Is this what Apple is planning for?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    uh.. no
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Lemme guess...mode will lock this thread now. Maybe we should have a "locked threads" forum where we can still discuss threads that have been locked.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Why should it be locked?

I doubt Apple will end the Power Mac line any time soon.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    There is such a forum! It's called 'General Discussion'.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 9
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'm not so sure Dave is on the wrong tack. After reading more of the hype Apple has been dishing out ("Bigger than the Rumor Sites...way bigger") they've got even me wondering a little. Dave poses an interesting question. In my mind there's can be little doubt about Motorola's part in all this. At the most, I can see them providing three new G4 chips (maybe Apollo but I doubt it), perhaps rated at 866, 933 and 1+GHz...or perhaps a line of new G5 chips running up to about 1.2 GHz...but not both. They've been laying people off left and right, have been struggling in every way. To think that they've been working on both a new generation of G4 (Apollo) and the new G5 and been able to bring both to market in large quantities seems highly, highly unlikely to me - no matter what Apple says.

The extra hype being tossed around (see above quote from <a href="http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0201/02.keynote.php"; target="_blank">this article</a>)makes me think it's possibly the latter, but not for the obvious reason (speed). The 64 bit part would be a big thing to hype. Especially if Apple sayyy, released a 64 bit version of OS X at the show, and showed it running on a completely new power mac. Maybe it will still be called the same name, but look entirely different. Not just talking about different colors in the translucent plastics or different handles. Talking a whole new shape / form factor -- smaller but still expandable, lighter, quieter -- something they can advertise the hell out of over the winter and spring. Something you're likely to see a product shot of in the next big sci-fi thriller....

Imagine this and see if you think it matches up wih the Hype / Dave's idea:

New LCD iMac running on existing model but slightly faster G4 processors - say 800, 866 and 933 MHz

New power macs running on G5 processors and souped up mobos - say roughly 1, 1.1 and 1.2GHz.

Only the G5 machines run the 64 bit version of OS X, and the new 64 bit apps that are being demonstrated and/or are slated for near-term release. All apps to ship with both copies of the program 32-bit and 64-bit, but only one processor gets to play with the big toys. A TRUE professional platform to reign in the game makers, 3D types, even Photoshop types. One that even the 2GHz+ chips of Wintel can't deal with, because they're not 64 bit.

Maybe what Apple is hyping is not so much the hardware (because they know we expect that because it's long overdue and really nothing for them to pound on their chest about) but what will run on that hardware?

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Maybe they should call it the Hyper Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ...or maybe the ADD-Mac. "It can do so many things at the same time, it'll freak you out."
  • Reply 8 of 9
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    [quote]Originally posted by Moogs ?:

<strong>...or maybe the ADD-Mac. "It can do so many things at the same time, it'll freak you out." </strong><hr></blockquote>

Speaking as someone who has ADD...

ROTFL!!!

I like that

It's so funny 'cause it's so true...

Ah, whew, that's a good one.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Heheh. I don't think there's a name for the condition I have. It cannot be adequately summed up with your average three letter acronym. A truly warped mix of ADD, insomnia and mild paranoia. But I'm great fun at cocktail parties!