ATI x800 Noted in 10.3.5

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
xlr8yourmac reports that in the latest ATI kernel extensions there is a reference to the ATI x800.

Let's hope this means that it will soon be entering apple's lineup in some form.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The only Mac that it's likely yo be in is the PowerMac, but it doesn't need a revision to support it. Oddly, Apple already sell the X800's direct competitor, the nVidia 6800. Interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    What the heck is ATI waiting for anyway? I've been holding off buying a new video card until I have more choices (and possibly a price war/reduction). There have been no announcements and very little buzz in connection to new ATI cards. Meanwhile, Nvidia is cleaning up with the 6800. Does ATI really think their dated 9800's are sufficently competitive, or are they on the cusp of some announcement?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leppo

What the heck is ATI waiting for anyway? I've been holding off buying a new video card until I have more choices (and possibly a price war/reduction). There have been no announcements and very little buzz in connection to new ATI cards. Meanwhile, Nvidia is cleaning up with the 6800. Does ATI really think their dated 9800's are sufficently competitive, or are they on the cusp of some announcement?

what are they suppose to do? release it for a market that can't support it?

Apple needs to adopt it, otherwise it makes no financial sense. Apple is to blame for this by only allowing upgrading on $2000+ machines.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

what are they suppose to do? release it for a market that can't support it?

Apple needs to adopt it, otherwise it makes no financial sense. Apple is to blame for this by only allowing upgrading on $2000+ machines.

The G5 has been out for a while now as we're on rev b. I think there are enough machines out there to warrant a card that can compete with Nvidia's latest offering. If the market can support ATI 9800 stuff, why can't it support a new ATI card? I don't think I'm following you.

I definitely feel that the market is big enough to support TWO cards based on more current technology instead of merely one. ATI and Nvidia have competed in the past, I don't see how things are different at the moment. Furthermore, it's obvious that ATI is going to release something relatively soon. My problem is that they should've been ready sooner because they're getting their asses handed to them.

And so are we, because without any sort of competition out there, people are shelling out 600 bucks for the only game in town.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    In answer to the "What are ATi waiting for?" question.

ATi currently don't have enough GPU's to meet the demand for these cards on the PC so I wouldn't expect to see a Mac version for at least a couple of months (just a guess I may be wrong thogh )

I'm waiting to see if Apple release a Mac 6800 GT, the perfect card for Doom 3
  • Reply 6 of 17
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AdvocateUK

In answer to the "What are ATi waiting for?" question.

ATi currently don't have enough GPU's to meet the demand for these cards on the PC so I wouldn't expect to see a Mac version for at least a couple of months (just a guess I may be wrong thogh )

I'm waiting to see if Apple release a Mac 6800 GT, the perfect card for Doom 3

I can guarantee you they won't. Apple never releases two so similar cards based on the same architecture, and sell them at the same time. The only 6800 you will be seeing from Apple is the 6800 Ultra DDL. You might see a 6600, but no 6800GT. Maybe we would have if Apple only made a broad enough market for graphics cards.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Delete this dupe. I can't.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

I can guarantee you they won't. Apple never releases two so similar cards based on the same architecture, and sell them at the same time. The only 6800 you will be seeing from Apple is the 6800 Ultra DDL. You might see a 6600, but no 6800GT. Maybe we would have if Apple only made a broad enough market for graphics cards.

Yes...and the x800 drivers were written for shits and giggles...probably coded by some Apple employee while in a drunken stupor thinking it would be a funny gag.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Yes...and the x800 drivers were written for shits and giggles...probably coded by some Apple employee while in a drunken stupor thinking it would be a funny gag.

What the fuck does the X800 driver have to do with the 6800 GT?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    lol I was just thinking the same thing...

Shame if there's no GT for the Mac....

Mind you TBH I'll probably just stick with my 9800 Pro as I tend to do most of my gaming on my PC.....

I'd love to see the Mac reverse this trend but I somehow don't think this is ever going to happen.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

What the fuck does the X800 driver have to do with the 6800 GT?

Hehe...ignore me. It's still waaay to early in the morning for me to even read posts let alone reply coherently to one.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Hehe...ignore me. It's still waaay to early in the morning for me to even read posts let alone reply coherently to one.

Hahah, okay.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I read the X800 is PCIe [PCI express] *only*.

So you need a revision of the whole chip set.

Maybe for the upcoming iMac or possibly an updated Powerbook line?

PCIe may mean updateable graphics cards for both said product lines, because both ATI and NVIDIA introduced new removable modules.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peanut

PCIe may mean updateable graphics cards for both said product lines, because both ATI and NVIDIA introduced new removable modules.

No, it's available in both AGP and PCIe versions.

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx8...ies/index.html
  • Reply 15 of 17
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Edit: MCQ beat me to it.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I'm guessing that a version of the X800 will be used in the next PowerMac revision. It'll probably be a PCIe version given that the technology will be more common by then.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by peanut

Both ATI and Nvidia are currently in a state of transition with regards to support both AGP and PCIExpress interfaces. For example, the Nvidia 6800 series of video cards are AGP-native designs, while the newly announced 6600 series of mainstream cards are PCIExpress native designs.

Nvidia has chosen to take the approach of utilizing an intermediary bridge chip (called HSI I believe), which can translate from AGP to PCI-E on the fly, and also in the oppposite direction. So the HSI chip is used for the 6800 series to interface an AGP-based design with PCI-E, and the new 6600 will only utilize an HSI bridge chip if you buy an AGP model.

Tom's Hardware has a good article on the new 6600 here: http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.c...812/index.html