The Apple Future iMac Fan Concept vs The Alleged ThinkSecret iMac

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is what I, along with many Mac fans here want. I think it's an amazing idea, and am in the process of producing a detailed mock up.

Style

Take a slab of a computer, sort of like the Xserve or the PowerBook, (but thicker and with more of an iDesign than either of those) that houses the entire computer, like the cube but not as tall.

Expansion

A door on the top, the back half of it, sort of like those doors on the back of remote controls or the back of the wireless bluetooth mouse, so you can slide it back for easy expansion.

Connections/Ports

On the front, there would be a slot load drive, to the left or right of the optical drive there would be a push-in/out iPod dock, one that you would push in like the PCI slot on a PowerBook, and out slides the iPod dock connector.

The front of the computer would have a few USB ports on it for the keyboard and mouse and the sides would contain the other ports. If you wanted to sit the computer under your desk, you could use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

The display

You could attach one right into the back of it, sort of an iMac flat panel redesign. It would slide into the back base of the computer but it could also stand alone, next to the computer. It could also be placed on the desk with the computer below, and still be just as moveable and ergonomic as the current iMac's display is.

Why it would work

This way, I see it as the ultimate switcher machine; it has expansion, good design, AIO if desired, G5, an iPod dock, and pontentially cheap price.

I think it's an amazing idea, anyway.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I just want to know what keeps Apple from producing a single processor "PowerMac Mini". I mean, a single CPU G5 with the expansion and upgradeability of a tower for a $1300 price point. I mean, you can get a 1.6GHz G5 at this price right now, so why can't Apple just make a model for this price range?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

The display

You could attach one right into the back of it, sort of an iMac flat panel redesign. It would slide into the back base of the computer but it could also stand alone, next to the computer. It could also be placed on the desk with the computer below, and still be just as moveable and ergonomic as the current iMac's display is.

The only thing I would add to this fantasy is making the Monitor mount a hot shoe, like the fans, therefore no wires to mess up the visual experience. It absolutely amazes me that many, if not a majority of people dream of a monitorless consumer Mac, but Apple continues to force feed us with the AIO. I like the AIO concept, I really do, lamentably though I can not afford it, when it is based on the LCD. and don't bring up the eMac, it's price performance is well not what I would expect.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

I just want to know what keeps Apple from producing a single processor "PowerMac Mini". I mean, a single CPU G5 with the expansion and upgradeability of a tower for a $1300 price point. I mean, you can get a 1.6GHz G5 at this price right now, so why can't Apple just make a model for this price range?

Because it would lower their higher-than-industry-standard profit margins.

It wouldn't be that hard to build a Power Mac G5 Mini with 1 graphics card slot, 2 memory slots, et al for $999 either.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    I'd just take the Powerbook 17" (15" too) 1 inch thick form factor and reverse the screen. Instead of a clamshell, it's just the screen and the parts in back. I'd put in an attachment for an articulated arm, maybe some cool air ventilation fins in back.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

http://www.hushtechnologies.net/start.html

Wow, that's pretty cool. I could see that fitting in with Apple's minimalist consumer designs.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

Because it would lower their higher-than-industry-standard profit margins.

It wouldn't be that hard to build a Power Mac G5 Mini with 1 graphics card slot, 2 memory slots, et al for $999 either.

I'm thinking this machine would cost around $1,199, but I'd still buy it. I'd be able to use my existing monitor until I can upgrade to a DVI LCD screen, and I could upgrade the video card if something like Quartz Extreme / CoreVideo-Imaging comes along and makes my existing video card obsolete.

The main reason I want upgradeable graphics goes back to my purchase of the original Ti-Book 500. About 18 months later (1/2 of the "useable" life espoused in these forums) my laptop couldn't use Quartz Extreme.

I would never want my desktop obsoleted by something as simple a video card, which is replaceable in every desktop computer on the market except for Apple's iMac.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    The above link gets you:

Hush Aluminum ATX case with fanless cooling system

- 240 Watt power supply (internal), fanless

- FIC P4-865PE Max mainboard, socket 478

- Intel Celeron or Pentium 4 Processor FSB800 with HT

- DDR400 / PC3200 memory

- Fanless Graphics card (Radeon 9200/9600/9800)

- AGP 8x Risercard / 1x PCI slot 220mm lenght.

- 6-Channel Audio

- 4 x USB 2.0 ports

- 2 x IEEE1394 Firewire ports (optional)

- 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN

- Serial, Parallel, Mouse and Keyboard ports

Basic configuration of the Hush ATX System:

- 2 Ghz Celeron Processor

- 256 Mb Memory DDR400 / PC3200

- 40 Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Hard Drive

- Radeon 9200SE 128Mb DDR

- Teac CD-RW/DVD Drive

Starting at $1675 which seems a bit expensive. It looks kinda cool.

Edit:

If this company has to sell it for this price, I'd hate to see what Apple have to sell it for with a 2.0 GHZ G5. I like the enclosure. I just don't think Apple will abandon the AIO design.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CodeWarrior

Starting at $1675 which seems a bit expensive. It looks kinda cool.

Edit:

If this company has to sell it for this price, I'd hate to see what Apple have to sell it for with a 2.0 GHZ G5. I like the enclosure. I just don't think Apple will abandon the AIO design.

what do you mean?

it's obvious that this is a low volume product.

so why do you hate to see what the apple price would be?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    While the Hush is very nice I am ready for an AIO and, after using PBs for over 2 years there is no way it will be a PC. AIO for home use because I'm tired of all the boxes and screens - plus a mass of wiring. I just want it to be simple in it's design.

Plastic or aluminum? I really don't care. The quality of plastic on my new iPod would be fine with me.

What I hope for is a G5, fast FSB, SATA HD, fast memory and a chance to upgrade the GPU on a BTO - just like I did with my PB.

Pricing ain't gonna be comparable to Dull's advertised specials. It will be closer to the old price ranges and I won't moan too much as I was ready to pull the trigger on a G4 20" iMac in January when I realized that G5s were on the way and thought they would be out fairly soon.

The latest news has analysts projecting IBM having problems delivering the G5 chips until sometime in Q1 '05, making our wishes a little less likely to happen. Apple will deliver what they can (and hopefully will allow BTO options) between now and when G5 supplies significantly increase. I think that means a AIO with 1.6 & 1.8 processors and 17" & 20" displays. At some point the chip fabrication will come up to speed and when there is a sufficient supply for a new line then there would be a chance for a PM mini. Not now.