iSight2 coming....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Quote:

Reliable sources indicate that "iSight 2" is in production, but internal documents provided to Think Secret indicate that the camera's feature set remains unchanged.

Given the incremental improvements that webcams go through, Think Secret believes the new iSight will simply contain updated mounting hardware to attach magnetically to Apple's new displays, as noted on this Apple page.

I hope it's less expensive. I hope it doesn't rely on magnets only to attach to the computer. iBooks aren't metal-cased.

http://thinksecret.com/news/isightairport.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Is aluminum a very magnetic metal?

Like the iPod, I can only assume that Apple is also busily trying to have ounces, inches and dollars off of the iSight. I'm sure they'd love to offer a $99 iSight soon.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I hope it's less expensive. I hope it doesn't rely on magnets only to attach to the computer. iBooks aren't metal-cased.

Magnets? I have two iSight's and neither has any magnets (unless I'm missing some unneeded bracket). They came with different mounting brackets. One had double-sided tape to mount to the back of the monitor (the iSight clips into the top). The second has a little screw mechanism that tightens to my powerbook screen.

[EDIT] Sorry, I thought you meant the original one. I just read the article, and I see you meant the new one. My stupid fault.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Magnets won't work well with CRTs (ie. eMacs and a lot of older systems).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    The magnets are only for use with the new LCD's.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Magnets will damage data on your hard disk. Magnets will also damage CRT based displays.

I don't think they are a viable option.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Cinema Display page

Look in the top right:

Quote:

Magnetic Personality

To attach your iSight to the new displays, Apple now offers a magnetic mounting solution. This stand is available in new iSight boxes this summer, and included in the iSight Accessory Kit.