Working with .dmg files...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello people I'm a n00b to Mac so please bear with me.

I have just recently been given, yes GIVEN a shiny mint condition G4. Never have owning a Mac I was briming with excitement and could't wait to tear it completely down and see what it was all about. I'm impressed with apples designers for this is a well made piece of equipment.

Anyways on to the main point. I have OS 9.x.x and I have a software title in the .dmg format and have been scouring the net in search of a way to convert it so I cant burn it and install it on the Mac. I have run across a small program called "dmg2iso" and where others have had luck I am not. It crashes only after a few seconds running. So I'm looking for more info and other options. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    AHAHA OS 9 on a nice G4. Get OS X, Your missing about 98% of the true mac experience. Any who, are you trying to burn the .dmg from a PC? or mac? If it's on your mac and you want to burn it. One make sure your computer has a cd burner, then find the program. Disk Copy, should be in applications and utillities. From there you should be able to go File, burn image, then you must find the .dmg file on your HD, and then click burn.. Oh yeah, put a blank cd in too. lol
  • Reply 2 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    A .dmg file is a disk image. Under OSX, you double-click it to mount it - once mounted, it appears on your Desktop as a virtual disk. Within that virtual disk is usually an application, which you "install" by dragging the icon to your Applications folder. I don't think OS9 can recognize a .dmg file at all. More importantly, whatever application that disk image contains is almost certainly an OSX application, and won't run on OS9 anyway. To get the most out of your computer, you should really think about grabbing a copy of OSX, even if its just an old copy of 10.2 off eBay.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

AHAHA OS 9 on a nice G4. Get OS X, Your missing about 98% of the true mac experience. Any who, are you trying to burn the .dmg from a PC? or mac? If it's on your mac and you want to burn it. One make sure your computer has a cd burner, then find the program. Disk Copy, should be in applications and utillities. From there you should be able to go File, burn image, then you must find the .dmg file on your HD, and then click burn.. Oh yeah, put a blank cd in too. lol

I'm trying to burn in on my PC.

Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

A .dmg file is a disk image. Under OSX, you double-click it to mount it - once mounted, it appears on your Desktop as a virtual disk. Within that virtual disk is usually an application, which you "install" by dragging the icon to your Applications folder. I don't think OS9 can recognize a .dmg file at all. More importantly, whatever application that disk image contains is almost certainly an OSX application, and won't run on OS9 anyway. To get the most out of your computer, you should really think about grabbing a copy of OSX, even if its just an old copy of 10.2 off eBay.

It is actually OS X 10.2. It was given to me by someone I didn't know and of course I had no clue so I hope I'm not out a few bucks. If so no biggie it was just a few bucks but I'm wondering how the heck I can burn in the proper format so OS 9 will read it.

-befuddled-
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I really have never heard of any programs to burn .dmg's on a pc, but all you would have to do is burn it on a cd, just as a file. and then put the cd in the mac, and copy it to you desktop. from there then you can burn to a cd.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I really have never heard of any programs to burn .dmg's on a pc, but all you would have to do is burn it on a cd, just as a file. and then put the cd in the mac, and copy it to you desktop. from there then you can burn to a cd.

I did put it on disk (since I havn't figured out networking the pc and mac environment yet) but the mac just didn't want anything to do with it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...besides I would need to slip my burner out of my pc to the mac to burn (is this possible?) and where would I go from there?

EDIT: Disk Copy is what I was trying to manipulate it with but not much luck.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacDaddi

It is actually OS X 10.2. It was given to me by someone I didn't know and of course I had no clue so I hope I'm not out a few bucks. If so no biggie it was just a few bucks but I'm wondering how the heck I can burn in the proper format so OS 9 will read it.

Hmm. So you have a disk image of a 10.2 upgrade CD, and are trying to burn it so you can install it from CD. Since you don't know who you got it from, I assume it's from some P2P network. First, are you sure it's a full install and not just the upgrade version (which would require 10.1 to be already installed)? Second, well, it goes without saying that this isn't a legitimate copy of OSX. You might still think about grabbing a real copy (CD, license and all) from eBay or a discount retailer. Putting aside any moral concerns, it will save you from this chicken-and-egg problem.

This thread at MacRumors.com says it more directly:
    Quote:

You are just going to have to burn your pirated CD images on a MacOS X machine and then boot from your burned CDs. You cannot install MacOS X on a computer that is booted into MacOS 9.