A Great Companion to your MAC! - Digital Media Player

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi All,

Firstly, please just stay with me as I've recently started to be covnerted from the PC base of computing to the MAC side of the world!

Anyhow, I was reading this article from another website some months ago on a Digital Media Player (VIRTUOSO MC-500)by some company that I havent really heard much about called Neuston.

www.neuston.com

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/...04.html#S17337

I originally bought to use in conjunction with my IBM though after buying a MAC, Ive come to realise how much easier it is from the MAC than the PC!

Essentially, its a PC to television device that takes computer data from a computer, and then transfers the compressed digital data (Mpeg-1/2/4, mp3, jpg, gif, tiff,) encoded through wired or wireless LAN, decodes the information and puts it on your television screen. Pretty neat stuff.

Ive been using this product for several months now and its pretty cool. To be honest, I didnt really feel the dying need for a box like this though I thought it'd be nice to try it out as I love trying new tech toys (though ive bought some pretty bad ones too!) and I'd highly recommend something like this!

BUT, be aware that Neuston isnt the only coming making these sort of devices for the Mac World. Theres also another company called Elgato that makes a range of products such as these. The reason why I dont know as much is because I dont have one as it is MAC only, while the Neuston product is both PC and MAC capable. Go check it out though.

www.elgato.com

Ive read some material on this one to but I'm not keen to comment as I havent learnt enough in detail to comment. Can anyone help out here? If anyone has an Elgato Eye Home.

The second thing is, I dont know of any MAC shops that sell such products....only PC shops which isnt a good thing as I tried to call the shop I bought the neuston MC-500 from and they didnt answer my questions when I was setting up on MAC. I reckon we need more MAC specialized shops to cater for things like this.

Im not too well versed in the MAC world right now but I have come to know a good amount about Digital Media Players as I work in Digital Media, both in Australia and Singapore so if you guys have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them! Not just regarding Digital Media Players but Digital Media as a subject.

I hope my MAC ignorance doesnt bother too many but im learning quickly. Its just a pity that Ive started my converstion from PC to MAC now and not before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Welcome to the boards, it sounds like you'll have plenty to contribute on this subject.

Just one *wee* detail... it's spelled 'Mac', not 'MAC'. It's not an acronym, but a nickname. Guaranteed to get people's dander up.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Welcome to the boards, it sounds like you'll have plenty to contribute on this subject.

Just one *wee* detail... it's spelled 'Mac', not 'MAC'. It's not an acronym, but a nickname. Guaranteed to get people's dander up.

Ha ha. Thanks for the heads up! I'm planning to try and get into this as fast as I can without stepping on too many toes as Ive been spending a lot of time in Mac forums instead of the PC ones I used to go to! And I see how it is here. So much simpler and responsive!

Just thought the Digital Media arena may be something that I could share my knowledge quickly with as the MC-500 product from Neuston I was talking about is pretty much the same as the Mac version.

Thanks again Kickaha!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha Just one *wee* detail... it's spelled 'Mac', not 'MAC'. It's not an acronym, but a nickname. Guaranteed to get people's dander up. [/B]

Kickaha... you beat me to it.

iDunno
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Damn Kickaha you beat me. I was really hoping to find some new stuff for my Media Access Control.

The Nuestron looks interesting. It's generating a bit of a buzz.