Powerbooks with Dual-Core G4s?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
See Freescale to detail dual-core PowerPC G4. Maybe we will see a return dual processor Powerbook after all? I don't know how low power or low temp these chips will run but it gives options unless Apple intend to wait for IBM's problem struck 970 line to roll up with some competition.

Okay it's not 64 bit but may be a differential for Apple to shout about...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Detailing a processor at MPF is different from actually shipping the processor. I predict Freescale will ship a dual core G4 in Q3 05 at the earliest.

It gives Apple options, maybe, but it's going to be at least a year before we see anything. Also, I'm getting the feeling that this dual core is all about bringing a competitor to bear for the MIPS-based dual-core Broadcom 1250, and the processor may not even be applicable to personal computer usage.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Return? There have been previous dual-core PPC processors from Freescale?

I agree, however, this is a development we await with baited breath. Perhaps since Freescale has been spun-off they'll adopt a more customer-oriented development model.

We'll see.

-S
  • Reply 3 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Apple's OS will probably be fully 64bit version (only running on 64Bit Processors, but still able to run 32bit apps) by 2006. If that comes in Q3 2005 it's life span would probably be less than acceptable. I think THT is right. This might not even be a consumer PC processor.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Apple's OS will probably be fully 64bit version (only running on 64Bit Processors, but still able to run 32bit apps) by 2006. If that comes in Q3 2005 it's life span would probably be less than acceptable.

And I predict that Apple will still have 32 bit processors in their lineup until 2006. No way the OS is going to be all 64-bit by then. Remember that Tiger is set to be released some time in the first half of 2005. Combine that with that Apple has made it clear that the current upgrade cycle is unsustainable - the next OS revision probably won't be until late 2006 or some time in 2007.

Now, more on-topic;

If the chip is set for release/shipping "soon" (i.e. sooner, rather than later) I predict that its dual core incarnation is too hot for anything less than the 17" PowerBook. I hope they're also trying to make a single core version of it, for use in smaller 'books.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

And I predict that Apple will still have 32 bit processors in their lineup until 2006. No way the OS is going to be all 64-bit by then.

Mac OS currently works fine on the PowerMac G5: why should this not be the case for future G5 based models? 32 and 64bit code coexist quite happily on 64bit PowerPC.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Mac OS currently works fine on the PowerMac G5: why should this not be the case for future G5 based models? 32 and 64bit code coexist quite happily on 64bit PowerPC.

Where did I state that future G5 based models will have problems with Mac OS, or anything in that direction?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    PowerBook7,1 and PowerBook7,2 are based on the SMU_Neo2 platform plugin, which is defined in the source for AppleMacRISC4PE.kext as G5/U3/K2 platforms. Read that as 970fx with PowerTune. Freescale will not be in these next PowerBook revisions, and doubtfully any future Mac product.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

PowerBook7,1 and PowerBook7,2 are based on the SMU_Neo2 platform plugin, which is defined in the source for AppleMacRISC4PE.kext as G5/U3/K2 platforms. Read that as 970fx with PowerTune. Freescale will not be in these next PowerBook revisions, and doubtfully any future Mac product.

I'm sure that was the plan until recently. But with these series of unexpected delays in 90nm G5s, the plans may have changed. Maybe a new set of .kext files will show up in the 10.3.6. The current set of .kext files is no guarantee.

IMO, the dual-core G4 is probably still a year away. It took the G5 about a year to hit the market after it was announced at the MPF.

Realistically, Apple might use the "successor to the 7447A" as a stopgap until 90nm G5s are available in quantity.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BeigeUser

I'm sure that was the plan until recently. But with these series of unexpected delays in 90nm G5s, the plans may have changed. Maybe a new set of .kext files will show up in the 10.3.6. The current set of .kext files is no guarantee.

I don't think Apple would release software kernel extensions for hardware that is a year (or more) off. No, the next PowerBooks will be G5 based with PowerTune. Amazing, how cool a chip can run when it is only powered fully when it is needed (not a great deal of the time, unless you are doing video rendering, etc). They may be late due to IBM-issues, but there will not be a surprise switch to a Freescale CPU, especially when these are RapidIO based. No way Apple is developing another complete architecture when HyperTransport is so entrenched.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

I don't think Apple would release software kernel extensions for hardware that is a year (or more) off. No, the next PowerBooks will be G5 based with PowerTune. Amazing, how cool a chip can run when it is only powered fully when it is needed (not a great deal of the time, unless you are doing video rendering, etc). They may be late due to IBM-issues, but there will not be a surprise switch to a Freescale CPU, especially when these are RapidIO based. No way Apple is developing another complete architecture when HyperTransport is so entrenched.

Without doubt, Apple has a fully functional PB G5 in their labs. I'm also sure that it was supposed to go into production soon (Hence, the kernel extensions.)

But considering the current state of G5 availability, (They just caught up with XServes and they are still far behind on PowerMac backorders.) I don't expect a Powerbook G5 soon. Probably delayed until G5 supply looks better.

In the meantime, Apple could simply wait or possibly sell another PB G4. The rumored G4 sounds like it could simply be plugged into the current motherboard and work with minor software updates. This is not the dual-core but the successor to the 7447A.

It all depends on how bad the situation is with the G5s. Only insiders will know exactly how much delay is expected. If the PB G5s are more than 8 months away, I'd say a new PB G4 is in order.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

But considering the current state of G5 availability, (They just caught up with XServes and they are still far behind on PowerMac backorders.) I don't expect a Powerbook G5 soon.

Perhaps Apple's inclusion of the kernel extensions indicates that the IBM situation is improving enough to release a PowerBook G5. Otherwise, why put them in there? We saw them in there with the iMac and 10.3.4, and we know that it is coming soon. There's only pessimism left now...because optimistically, what we have is pretty much an admission by Apple that the PowerBook G5 is ready.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Where did I state that future G5 based models will have problems with Mac OS, or anything in that direction?

"And I predict that Apple will still have 32 bit processors in their lineup until 2006. No way the OS is going to be all 64-bit by then. " My point was that the OS doesn't have to be all 64 bit for an across the board transition to G5.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

In the meantime, Apple could simply wait or possibly sell another PB G4. The rumored G4 sounds like it could simply be plugged into the current motherboard and work with minor software updates. This is not the dual-core but the successor to the 7447A.

According to Freescale's Roadmap, the G4+ is in the "planning" stages.

Fo-git-a-bah-dit
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Fo-git-a-bah-dit

It never mentions dual core, and it looks no different than the G4 now.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

It never mentions dual core, and it looks no different than the G4 now.

I believe there will be another G4 update for the Powerbooks, before the e600 (single or dual core) or G5 processors find their way into the Powerbook. Anyone remember H. Burkhard of Sonnet talking about the 7448?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

- VPC 7 en retard ? -

I wonder what that means in their language?

I know what it looks like here
  • Reply 18 of 21
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I wonder what that means in their language?

I know what it looks like here

It means "VPC 7 delayed?".
  • Reply 19 of 21
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    With all the talk about dual-core G4s, are their any plans for something that should have been out years ago; a faster clocked G4 with a faster memory bus?

All this talk of a dual-core super G4 is odd, given how sorry of a state the current G4 is. Chatting about a dual-core G4 is like chatting about adding an addion to a house ridden with termites.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Fo-git-a-bah-dit

Uh - wait, not so fast, here's another roadmap that's a year younger, where the 7447A successor is actually in "development", as are the 64 bit e700 core and the multi core-capable e600 core, which might be the one in the much talked-about up-coming dual core chips. Hopefully that'll be the G4+ on the previous roadmap with RapidIO or whatever as interconnect; given Motorola's (recent) push for modular PowerPC SoC design,
    Quote:

The next-generation of high-performance PowerPC processors will leverage the compatible e600 core and leverage the PowerPC e600 System-on-Chip platform for greater performance and integration.

(last sentence of the first paragraph), a custom derivative e600 core with faster interconnect/FSB (elastic bus?) or an on-die memory controller tacked onto it seems plausible to me. Remember, old core != bad core! After all, the Pentium M is a reworked Pentium Pro core with a different interconnect tacked on, isn't it?

...hope springs eternal (especially for PowerPC development...)

Cheers,

Heinzel