Final Cut Pro HD versus Express

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My business has presented us with the oppurtunity to start making training videos. We want to use an application that is beyond iMovie and so Final Cut has become the obvious choice.

We were considering trying Final Cut Express versus Final Cut Pro because we are looking for a version with as little learning time as possible. But recently we spoke to a friend who is very Mac savy and stated that he believed that it Express is nothing more than a stripped down version of Pro and we might be better off going with Final Cut Pro HD instead.

Has anyone here had experience with Final Cut Pro HD and Express? What do you think?

I was curious as to what you all thought about this subject. I wasn't sure where exactly to post this, so I'm trying multiple forums.

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    FCE and FCP have the same learning curve because, yes, FCE is really a cut down version of FCP. If I remember correctly, you can buy FCE and upgrade to FCP for the difference in price later if you wish. The Production Bundle (FCP, DVD Studio Pro and Motion) is a good deal. FCP includes Soundtrack, Livetype (possibly completely superseded by Motion but much less demanding hardware requirements), and Compressor.

Which one is best for you comes down to your needs but also the best deal. FCE plus DVD Studio Pro plus Motion separately may not pan out as well cost-wise as The Production Bundle.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Here's a breakdown of the differences

FCE is DV only but that's probably what you're going to use to capture video.

Check the list and see what are must have items. Remember if you start out with FCE and decide you want more features you can upgrade to FCP. Your knowledge transfers over nicely because they are the same basic interface.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    If anything we'd be intrested in purchasing the Production Suite package. Motion is particularly intresting to us at this time.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dieforyourcause

If anything we'd be intrested in purchasing the Production Suite package. Motion is particularly intresting to us at this time.

Looks like you've answered your own question!