Apple readying refined iSight video camera

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer is said to be readying a revision to its popular iSight web cam that will add support for superior video quality and include several other minor enhancements, reliable sources say.

From the outside, Apple's second generation iSight video cam reportedly looks and functions much like its predecessor. However, inside is a more refined and mature engine that improves on the company's successful rookie attempt in the video/web cam arena.

The updated cam will work with forthcoming versions of the Mac OS X operating system to deliver support for both higher optical resolution and higher frame rates through improved support of certain codecs that operate on the digital video stream, sources said.

The revised iSight is also said to sport an internal component reorganization and a slightly thicker camera barrel that will produce less heat than the current version.

Apple began distributing new iSight manufacturers part numbers to resellers in late July. Around the same time, the company also halted shipments of its current iSight model.

One Apple Store customer, who placed an order for an iSight (M933OLL/A) in July, was surprised when he found out that his order had automatically been updated to a new version of the cam (M8817LL/B), complete with and an unexpected two week delay.

Apple originally provided customers with an estimated August 9th shipment date for the new cams, but sources close to the project now expect the revised model to begin shipping quietly anytime between now and September.

In addition to revised packaging and an updated user manual, the new iSight will reportedly include new mounting hardware that will let users attach the camera to all of Apple's latest hardware offerings.

Sources say that the new iSight is currently undergoing internal quality assurance tests with both Mac OS X Panther and recent builds of Mac OS X Tiger with iChat 3.

Apple is also said to be working on a firmware update that will provide similar video improvements for the original iSight models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm buying one next year. The quality is good now but any improvements will be welcome. I'd love to see PC support as well for the iSight.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    I bet the revision also has to do with mounting for the new iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Nittany did you skip over this part

Quote:

In addition to revised packaging and an updated user manual, the new iSight will reportedly include new mounting hardware that will let users attach the camera to all of Apple's latest hardware offerings.

• Reply 4 of 23
    What about...

"Connect your new iSight 2 to your new 60GB iPod for hours of video recording. Automatically import into iMovie, or watch in QuickTime."

"The new iPod mounting kit makes it easy to connect your iSight to the iPod"

I don't know exactly how the mounting would have to been to make it comfortable to use. Or the lack of color screen. But these are all trivial.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

What about...

"Connect your new iSight 2 to your new 60GB iPod for hours of video recording. Automatically import into iMovie, or watch in QuickTime."

I don't know exactly how the mounting would have to been to make it comfortable to use. Or the lack of color screen. But these are all trivial.

I would like to see that too But as we all know that's not going to happen

Ah well, I'll just entertain myself with an iPod an all the other cool stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Nittany did you skip over this part

• Reply 7 of 23
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    We wants it, preciousss.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    What about support of USB2? That would open door to the PC users
  • Reply 9 of 23
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    I'm getting one... I have been holding off because the current requirements for one are at least an 800mhz processor, so my G3 400 is out of the questions, but two dys ago I placed my order for a dual 2 G5... so the minute this new iSight is released: It's Mine!

I hope we see a price drop with it as well because $260 for what is essentially a webcam is a little steep.

But then again I did pay $900 for what is essentially a walkman

iDunno

(prices are in Australian dollars.)
  • Reply 10 of 23
    i got the new iSight

i ordered back in july and it wasn't supposed to ship till august 9th then they pushed it to the 18th. I got it on the 17th however.

the mounting did change quite a bit. there is no longer a button on the white plastic part that mounts the camera to the clear stands.

also there is a new magnetic mount that lets you connect it to the new Apple Displays.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by wreckk

i got the new iSight

i ordered back in july and it wasn't supposed to ship till august 9th then they pushed it to the 18th. I got it on the 17th however.

the mounting did change quite a bit. there is no longer a button on the white plastic part that mounts the camera to the clear stands.

also there is a new magnetic mount that lets you connect it to the new Apple Displays.

Is there anything different "inside" the camera? This new thinker barrel they are talking about?

iDunno
  • Reply 12 of 23
    i dont' have anythign to compair it to. so i wouldn't know.

seems the same size to me.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Dammit, I was hoping it would have two barrels, like a shot-gun! Camera 1, Camera 2... one gets your good side... the other gets your evil side!

iDunno
  • Reply 14 of 23
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

What about...

as some around here might recall, i was in this bandwagon, too, but honestly, the disk activity and power drain necessary for any sort of video recording, at least by today's run-o-the-mill consumer type cameras would eat the lil' ipod alive, regardless of hard drive size.

as the ladies keep trying to tell me, it's not the size of my hard drive...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

as some around here might recall, i was in this bandwagon, too, but honestly, the disk activity and power drain necessary for any sort of video recording, at least by today's run-o-the-mill consumer type cameras would eat the lil' ipod alive, regardless of hard drive size.

as the ladies keep trying to tell me, it's not the size of my hard drive...

I think it is the most awesome idea, connecting your iSight directly to an iPod for on-the-fly video recording.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

I think it is the most awesome idea, connecting your iSight directly to an iPod for on-the-fly video recording.

Yea, they could call it music video and have it intertwine with GarageBand.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

I'm getting one... I have been holding off because the current requirements for one are at least an 800mhz processor, so my G3 400 is out of the questions, but two dys ago I placed my order for a dual 2 G5... so the minute this new iSight is released: It's Mine!

Your specs are a little off, for vid chatting a 600mhz G3 will run isight ok and any G4.. but your new G5 should do ok
  • Reply 18 of 23
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    Funny, Think Secret reported on the revised iSight cameras several days ago, but they claimed that the only thing changing was the various mounting equipment and not anything inside the camera itself.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I have one of the new "B" cameras. Like others have mentioned, it comes with a new magnetic mount. Also, the metal tabs are missing on the cable adapter. It's now much easier to remove the camera from the adapter... just pull off. I haven't noticed any better video quality though, and everything else seems the same. Also, the firmware version is the same as the latest updater. 1.02, i think.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    alexhbalexhb Posts: 17member
    Checkout apple.com/isight, and click the "Buy Now" button.

It's the same iSight camera, with a new display mont

-aLex