Will the iPod be tied in with the new iMac...?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Will Apple use the leverage that it has with the iPod, to help to try and sell the iMac? A lot of people in this forum think that the iMac is going to be overpriced and some even consider it under-performing (namely the GPU). As much as I may personally disagree with those sentiments, I think Apple will have to do something clever to get people to take a closer look at the iMac, regardless of design or specifications (even if it had a great GPU).

Does Apple need to bundle an iPod mini for free with the new iMac, in order to get PC users to really take a close look and actually consider the iMac as a potential buy?

I can just imagine the press buzz that this sort of marketing would create. A "have your cake and eat it too" sort of approach that might give consumers enough of an excuse to buy the iMac.

Imagine a Mom from a middle class family, going Christmas shopping for a new computer. She walks into the King of Prussia mall, sees the Apple logo and the iPod banners in the window, she walks in. She sees the iMac with an iPod mini hooked up to it. Now at this point, she was only going in because she recognized the iPod, which was on Johnny's wish-list. She sees that there is this great looking computer, for $1299, and it includes an iPod mini. She might buy the bundle.

It's just a thought, and I think it may be something Apple could do to help give themselves a two-fold advantage over the competition in the music world too. They get the iPod market share up, they get the mac market share up, the user base expands and Apple makes money.

If they couldnt bundle the mini in for free, maybe make the mini only $100 with the purchase of any iMac.

Basically, why not use the one product Apple makes that everyone is in love with, to help sell the other stuff that 95% of the world is unsure/ignorant about? It would seem to make sense.

Am I nuts, or does that make some sort of sense?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    It doesn't make any sense from a financial pov, because, while an imac costs more, there is more profite dollar for dollar in an iPod. Why would you want to give away your most profitable unit, to sell less profitable items?

Especially when the iPod is essentially a consumable product...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by feverishaaron

... Why would you want to give away your most profitable unit, to sell less profitable items?

OK then, sell them the iPod, but it comes with a free iMac ???

• Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by feverishaaron

It doesn't make any sense from a financial pov, because, while an imac costs more, there is more profite dollar for dollar in an iPod. Why would you want to give away your most profitable unit, to sell less profitable items?

Especially when the iPod is essentially a consumable product...

The iPod does not generate more revenue than an iMac.

The cram and jam promotion has helped a lot of people take the dive, I know that promotion is just the thing that got one of my friends to switch. Apple needs to run a promotion with the new iMac called "Trojan and Horse," or something like that. $150 off of a mini or $200 off of an iPod with the purchase of an iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NittanyLionTosh

The iPod does not generate more revenue than an iMac.

The cram and jam promotion has helped a lot of people take the dive, I know that promotion is just the thing that got one of my friends to switch. Apple needs to run a promotion with the new iMac called "Trojan and Horse," or something like that. $150 off of a mini or $200 off of an iPod with the purchase of an iMac.

"Trojan" is generally considered bad if it is happening to you. Just ask the poor bastards at Troy. The Turks still hate the Greeks to this day...

ps - It has some pretty negative connotations in relation to computing too.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    In any case, you know what I'm getting at. So intead of breaking apart my tag lines, why not discuss the idea?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

In any case, you know what I'm getting at. So intead of breaking apart my tag lines, why not discuss the idea?

I think there will be no promotions on introduction. They may decide to run some later. I'm really thinking to "wait and see" on the new iMac.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Well, this reminds me of the Cram & Jam promotion they run for educational buyers. If you purchase an ibook or powerbook, you get a $200 rebate on an ipod purchased at the same time. They said during the last conference call that the Cram & Jam was a success in 2003, so they are trying it again.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    I could see that happening. Buy and iMac, get an iPod rebate. Sounds smart. So you're giving away cheaper iPods, but you're winning an extra Macintosh user. Sounds about even steven.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Apple needs to run a promotion with the new iMac called "Trojan and Horse," or something like that.

Why not just call it "cancer"?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I think there will almost certainly be a "tie-in" between the new iMac and the iPod, but I doubt it will be financial.

There's lot's of money to be made (forget about marketshare for a moment) if Apple can lure some more Windows users to the Mac based upon the iPod's success.

I expect to see and integrated dock, and perhaps some additional airtunes Express functionality. This will make any iPod owner see the iMac as the ideal "companion" device.

it's the best way to ensure success for the iMac, and satisfies every segment of the market from Mac-devotee to windows user.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Yeah, an integrated dock would be great. Sony pushes its memory stick media by placing magic gate drives on their machines. Apple could start making iPod docks a standard thing on their consumer machines.