What is "Process Name = (null)", and why is it hogging my CPU?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I woke my Dual-1.25 GHz G4 from sleep this morning and saw through X Resource Graph that CPU usage was through the roof. I was totally baffled, since I wasn't running anything massively CPU-intensive like Folding@home.

I opened up Activity Monitor and saw this:

PID: 367

Process Name: (null)

% CPU: 164.00

# Threads: 14

Real Memory: 15.91 MB

Virtual Memory: 1.13 GB (!)

So what exactly is this? And why is it taking up so much of my CPU and Virtual Memory? What does it do? I'm guessing it may be some obscure part of the OS running behind the scenes, but doesn't the fact that the name of this process is "null" mean that there's nothing actually running?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    No idea, but I would kill it.

And yes, I have "issues"
  • Reply 2 of 4
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I've seen something like this when Classic is running. Could there be a connection?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I had a process called "name" that was eating up as much processor power as OS X could give to it the other day. I killed the sucker, and haven't had a problem since.

I've done a thread like this before to see if you could tell what a process was doing so you'd know if it was unecessary or malicious, but there isn't too much you can do. You can take a sample from activity monitor, but it's pretty useless.