switcher to mac - advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hi,

im a fool (i run a windows pc)and have recently come into some money and am wanting to purchace a mac i have about 1500-2000 pounds to spen. Could anyone tell me what the comparsions of speeds bewteen and pc and a mac runiing simmilar processers speeds.Does a mac run faster than a pc of the same clockspeed?.

Also what mac should i buy. I would like a bit of exta speed to play with on top of possibly running itunes, browsing the internet and typing in a document. could anyone suggest a mac that could handle that at a decent speed. i alos frequently play some games so graphics are a bit important.

thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    you need to be a little more specific about the gaming aspect, for the other stuff speed and power doesnt come into play, itunes,net ,email,typing but try to run UT2004 or Doom3 and you can never have enough juice or videocard. If your just a light gamer any new machine will be OK but if you want to play the latest greatest you can forget any G4 machine or any machine with Fx5200. Also are you looking at laps or desktops. do you do any video editing. Remember a old imac can play itunes,surf the net and mail.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    spykerspyker Posts: 17member
    thank you, im not really into much gaming so i would leave that part out of it. i may at some point however posiblly use some graphics program such as macromedia fireworks and photoshop do you think the ati 9700 in the powerbook would be powerfull enough to cope with that.

i am not botherd either a desktop or a laptop. But is it worth wating for a g5 laptop. Would it give me much more speed. Or should i buy the new G5 imac. That might possibly last me longer on the power front as new machines come out
  • Reply 3 of 10
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyker

thank you, im not really into much gaming so i would leave that part out of it. i may at some point however posiblly use some graphics program such as macromedia fireworks and photoshop do you think the ati 9700 in the powerbook would be powerfull enough to cope with that.

i am not botherd either a desktop or a laptop. But is it worth wating for a g5 laptop. Would it give me much more speed. Or should i buy the new G5 imac. That might possibly last me longer on the power front as new machines come out

Yes a G4 and 9700 makes for a great machine for you and your needs and should do anything you ask it but also have in your mind that Tiger a 64 bit OS is coming and it will make better use of a G5 then Jag or Panther.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    thank you

yes tiger it would still run on the g4 but would it be slower. is it possible that there is aa g5 in the near future
  • Reply 5 of 10
    You'll see a G5 in an iMac long before you see one in a PowerBook. It sounds like the machine due to intro. in Sept. would be ideal for you, unless you truly value portability (for that, a PowerBook with 1 GB+ of RAM would be more than powerful enough).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    there is a dual core processser coming soon how long would you think that would take to become intergrated into the powerbook line. Motorola is also readyng a new G5 chip is it like apple to switch from ibm to motorola for these cpus.

i would value the portabilty in 2 years time as a plan to take a gap year sking so my space would be limited it is just by then it would be dated and unable to run mac os x?. i am quite the update kind i would like to run the atest os ut it isnt really nesseceray i suppose
  • Reply 7 of 10
    In that case, I'd say get an iMac next month (if possible!!), and sell it/trade up to a PowerBook in a few years.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    what compaines offer tae in servies
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyker

what compaines offer tae in servies

"eBay"

• Reply 10 of 10
    thanks never thought of that one

does anybody know what classes as a student how old or in uni or what to get the apple discount im in sixthform or (college)