nuguy-wazzup?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK - I'm a new here and I'd like to join in to what looks like a lot of fun.

My only question that I can't seem to get answered here is whether I can have my own username of my choosing, or am I consigned to use one of my predecessors' usernames (e.g., theblackhat, postmaster, bill gates, Brothers Karamatzov, or whatever?).

What's the rules about this? I've tried to register on my own and the board insists I am already theblackhat (a student in this lab from last year).

I have nothing against using the name if I must but it doesn't seem right.

How about it? What's best?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    It automatically logs you in?

Delete the AI cookies so next time it will ask to to register....(or so I believe)

• Reply 2 of 8
    Nope. When I try to register for a different name it seems to interpret my effort as an attempt to register under another alias and doesn't seem to like it.

Since theblackhat trained me this summer, he gave me his password but I want my own.

I have a whole bunch of former students' passwords and their usernames in a kind of lab diary but I tried one and it doesn't seem to work anymore.

I am a PC guy and this is my first experience with an all-Mac lab network and since I have to work with it (and I can honestly say I'm surprised at what I find so far - like the ads) I'd like to see what you all know and can share.

I got four years of hard time to do here and most of us are new so there's not a lot of the older guys around anymore who (according to this log diary I'm holding) seemed to post the hell outta this site.

So I'm pretty much on my own and don't really want to chase theblackhat down where he's gone to do his graduate work.

So how about it - must I try to use one these old usernames so I'm not theblackhat?

Course, if anyone out there claims one of these, just tell me cause I'm not trying to walk on anyone (here's some more if I'm reading right, Flamethrowing Troller, codered, Darwin's Ape, Kernel Spanky, Phreak, and several others spanning several years of lab students).

Howboutit???
  • Reply 3 of 8
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    You could always register from a different location and simply log in at a terminal in your lab. You don't need to be on a Mac to register for this site.

Good Luck.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Yeah - I could log in at a remote, but I can't do it here at the lab.

Every workstation was apparently previously occupied by a former member of your site when they were a student here.

When I try to log on, you site refuses to issue me new credentials because it thinks I am one of the previous posters I've listed above.

Trouble is, I want to be able to interact with ya'll late nights when I have to be here but I'm not real busy all the time.

It looks like my predecessors had a great time posting here before.

Someone started a logbook of all the posts and replies that they had a part in.

Overall, very witty. Wish I'd known them 5 or 6 years back. Seemed like quite a group of zanies. Darwin's Ape cracks me up.

At one time y'all seemed to have a very lively discussion group going - it seemed very special reading over it.

Odd thing though - when I log on as theblackhat and use your search engine, it can't seem to find all of these excerpts in this logbook.

Anyhoo, thanks. I'll try the remote log idea from someplace else.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Alright I've been confused by this thread enough. theblackhat is referring to pre-blackout members isn't he? Some of whom have never re-registered because they're not on the current member list.

Where's an old-timer when you need one? Normally can't shut 'em up about the friggin' blackout but now when their knowledge might actually be useful they're all on a leave of absence.

He's saying he's got copies of stuff from before the blackout isn't he?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Yeah - I know, its kinda cornfusing.

Thing is, I'm really a PC person who wants to get up to speed real fast on Apple type Mac-stuff.

Its like waking up one day and finding your whole technology world changed religions on ya.

Everything we have here is Mac (or Apple or whatever the right term is). But its what the Prof likes - so now I like it. = )

Actually, I'm kinda impressed and yes, I may have said some things to friends and family in the past who were trying to decide what kind of OS to buy.

And maybe I've been a little wrong all this time if this is how its always been.

Really sorry about the confusion, tho. Sorry bout that - really am. Not making a great start here.

I tried asking the same thing a week or two earlier on Applenova under my own real registered alias there but no one ever responded.

This seems like a better site.

And yes, during the summer before the fall semester, I get tired of sitting around here on my ass so I look for things to read.

I ran across in our cabinet this old 3-ring that has a bunch of different divisions according to usernames (I already mentioned most I think) that goes back 5 or 6 years at least.

Full of all kinds of posts and threads where apparently students who had this job before me used to also get bored and looked for things to do so I'm guessing they posted to your site to pass the time.

I can tell because of the night and early morning times they were doing the "moon shift" here.

Its the same site as now but it prints a little different than what you seem to have. For instance, instead of the circles in the upper right of your site header, there are little images of Apple computers and such - I'm guessing because I don't recognize anything of course from back there.

I doubt though if these guys (it looks like there were at least 4 or 5 of them from differing periods by their handwritten annotes) were what your calling oldtimers. These are no more than 6 or 7 years old at the most.

Again, sorry to cause problems - dont mean to . Just curious and trying to get hooked up.

Thanks for at least responding though - all you who have posted or e-mailed me). Much appreciated.

And I'm appreciating the Apple system more and more - I can't load any of my software on the stations here cause it would cause a tear in space-time fabric so I don't know how they would run.

But it is totally cool that I can run PC programs on these things - most PC people either don't know that or misunderstand - unless it slows their games too much to run it thru the emulator.

Anyway, ya got me interested in the "old-timers" - what are they? How long have you guys been around? What does it take to be a moderator (I was one on another PC board).

Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by theblackhat

Thing is, I'm really a PC person who wants to get up to speed real fast on Apple type Mac-stuff.
    [

Then just jump in. If you're really bothered by not having your own name, PM a mod or admin. If anybody recognizes the name from the past just explain as you go.

Quote:

the Prof likes

Smart prof.

Quote:

Actually, I'm kinda impressed and yes, I may have said some things to friends and family in the past who were trying to decide what kind of OS to buy.

And maybe I've been a little wrong all this time if this is how its always been.

How to win friends and influence people. Apple aren't perfect either. They're just a lot less imperfect than MS.

Quote:

Really sorry about the confusion, tho. Sorry bout that - really am. Not making a great start here.

It's not a problem.

Quote:

I tried asking the same thing a week or two earlier on Applenova under my own real registered alias there but no one ever responded.

This seems like a better site.

Sorry no comment on that one. Touchy subject. Don't ask why.

Quote:

But it is totally cool that I can run PC programs on these things - most PC people either don't know that or misunderstand - unless it slows their games too much to run it thru the emulator.

No people don't realize that. Nor do they realize that most Apple SW will serve their purposes as well or better. Gaming is what PCs are for but pretty much everything else Macs do better. Are the Macs in your lab running OS X?

Quote:

Anyway, ya got me interested in the "old-timers" - what are they?

People who were here before the blackout which happened in late 2001. Everything was lost in the blackout. Hence you won't see anybody with a registration date before Nov 2001. And hence you may have the only copies of posts or threads that still exist from that time. For more info, do a search or wait until we're next huddled around the campfire listening to an oldtimer tell us stories about the blackout (probably won't have to wait long ).

Quote:

What does it take to be a moderator

A psychiatric condition will serve you well. Other than that:

- s/he who asks, does not a mod become

- not being too much of an arse

- time to prove whether or not you are an arse.

Edit: Good example of AI culture. I inadvertently made the X on OS X lower case. It was, therefore, imperative I correct this mistake even though everybody would know what I meant and that it was a typo. Remember stuff like this. (Never, ever spell Mac MAC unless you mean MAC. Now I'm just trying to confuse ya. )