apple remote desktop 2 Mac to PC?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I heard with ARD2 you are able to take control of a windows box, if so is there some type of configuration I need to do to access my Xp box, or the only way this is possible is through VNC? Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Just a guess, but it means you probably need to enable remote sharing in XP. Given that ARD is made by Apple, doing the mac part of the transaction is probably effortless.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Just need VNC running on PC.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    is remote Desktop 1 able to control XP?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

is remote Desktop 1 able to control XP?

Nope. Apple added VNC as the protocol for the observe/control modes in ARD 2.0. 1.0-1.2.4 did not use VNC.

Rumor has it that Apple took the Open Source VNC code, rewrote it, and didn't contribute their code back to VNC community. Hmmm.

The VNC PC clients need to have a VNC Server app or service running (TightVNC, etc).

VNC uses ports 5900-5902. Apple's ARD 2.0 does NOT allow you to make VNC run over a user-specified port number(s). You have to use 5900-5902.

Another gotcha: You have to MANUALLY enable VNC in the Sharing/Firewall System Prefs Pane on your Mac ARD 2.0 clients. Bummer.

Oh, ARD 2.0 sucks. :0) The admin app crashes all day long. It is lame right now. Apple is coding an update as we speak. A beta will be seeded soon. Wait a while on this one fellas. 2.0 is NOT ready-for-prime-time. I admin 150 OS X Macs, and ARD is NOT much fun right now.