AirPort Extreme Card will not turn back on

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The set up: 12 Inch PowerBook G4, OS 10.3.4, all other software updated to latest version, Airport Extreme card

Since I use my laptop at school, often away from an area where I can plug it in, I often turn off my Airport card to save battery life.

Only this time, when I open the Internet Connection panel and click "Turn Airport On" It idles and nothing happens.

Now, I've removed the Airport card, examined the contacts, and reseated it. No obvious problems, no change. Any ideas, or do I own a broken airport card?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    derevderev Posts: 64member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NotReid

The set up: 12 Inch PowerBook G4, OS 10.3.4, all other software updated to latest version, Airport Extreme card

Since I use my laptop at school, often away from an area where I can plug it in, I often turn off my Airport card to save battery life.

Only this time, when I open the Internet Connection panel and click "Turn Airport On" It idles and nothing happens.

Now, I've removed the Airport card, examined the contacts, and reseated it. No obvious problems, no change. Any ideas, or do I own a broken airport card?

Does the card appear in "System profiler?" If not, you may have a hardware problem. If it does show, then it';s probably a software issue. Fix permissions,

reboot and see what happens. You might also trying the 10.3.5 updater.

derev
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've fixed the permissions, and the card does in fact show up in the profiler.

And, lo and behold, it can turn on.

Now I have a strange situation. While it can now turn on and off, and even detect networks, it can't seem to synchronize with any of them.

Any more suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by NotReid

I've fixed the permissions, and the card does in fact show up in the profiler.

And, lo and behold, it can turn on.

Now I have a strange situation. While it can now turn on and off, and even detect networks, it can't seem to synchronize with any of them.

Any more suggestions?

Try the 10.3.5 updater (apple update in system prefs)

There has been at least one airport revision recently also.

Are the networks open to your use? ie. if wap protected, are you privvy to the access?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Also, if you are at school, you can always call or visit the system admin or student computer assistance people (the names are different at many schools) and make sure your airport card is still registered with them and if so. they can help you toubleshoot any connectivity problems with their network. {They should have at least one mac person}